Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Schmidt Card ID - mikeschmidt?

Does anyone have any idea what type of cards these are?

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone have any idea what type of cards these are? >>

They are Broder cards - and they are essentially worthless since they are unlicensed.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    There was a proliferation of these unlicensed cards in the mid-1980's to the early 1990's.....While they are nice to add to single player collections, they hold little to no value.
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I have a different Schmidt Broder (identified also by none other than our own mikeschmidt a while back). It's a nice looking card. Too bad Broder didn't obtain the proper licensing agreements.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. A lot of my cards are worthless............
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the info. A lot of my cards are worthless >>

When they were produced in the late 1980's, they were selling at shows for a buck or 2 a set complete w/ the hot rookies of the day like Griffey & Sheffield. There were dozens of diff sets offered. Since they paid no royalties to MLB or the players union, they cost pennies to make and to reprint, so with that said, yes they are worthless but I doubt anyone paid too much for them...jay
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

I made a bunch of money on those.They were a real hit for a few months or so.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    You also have to remember that at the time, these cards were "competing" with basically 3-4 other sets in the hobby. It would be impossible today for them to survive with all the other licensed choices available. I have to admit that the photography on many of these cards was better than what you saw at the time with Topps, etc.
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.