Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just when we were done discussing Topps Heritage

I came across this auction. Almost a quarter of the set, and none of the ones I've checked came from ebay auctions in the past couple weeks. I think from the description he pulled them all himself. I wrote and ask how he accumulated them in so short a time, apparently without ebay. Maybe he hit a God box (24 packs, 1 per pack?). But he's also sold a complete Chrome set. If he did bust that many cases, I think there's a good source for completing our sets.
WANTED:
2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    helionaut
    From what I understand there are people out there who crack a couple of cases - I saw where a guy had a complete set less the SP's with a BIN of $27. If you bought a few boxes to play with, and wait, you could easily buy this set and backfill in the rest with spot purchases on ebay and trades. That would be the smart way to do it - but ya know, that might take some of the fun out of the neurotic chase I go thru to complete the set. So, I guess what I am saying is I'm totally impractical but enjoying it. What do ya think?
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Yes, but my point is that these black borders come about 1 per 11 boxes. By straight math, he would've opened about 260 boxes, which is about 33 8-box cases. That's a lottaboxes. How he got that quantity of cards that rare is my question.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭
    I have pulled 3 in 15 boxes, so at that rate the math would take you to 120 boxes for this lot. Not saying you are wrong, but just giving another look at it. Either way, it is a either a lot of opening or a lot of luck.
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If he did bust that many cases, I think there's a good source for completing our sets. >>

Helio
    I was focusing in on your last comment - on the other one - anything is possible from what LJB has said to this individual purchasing them local - could have a shop and getting them cheap from kids - anything - but also look at the numbers - the SP's in hobby and retail "Open" box packs is way lower than the 29.99 'closed' retail everyone is buying where we have averaged 1 SP per pack - so maybe he hit a "Hot" case - all good questions - bottom line: if the numbers wind up being skewed toward the buyer, the bottom will fall out on the chromes and perhaps the entire set - won't be the first time that has happened. I didn't pay attention to how many retails I have purchased - I'm affraid to tell my wife - I counted the cards I have and divided by 8 and was SHOCKED!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    24 is the key here, sounds like he broke an inadvertant hot box...probably had a black refractor
    in each pack....amazing part is that he hit many of the good rookies. This could be the kind of
    auction that pulls in set builders!

Kevin
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Found a retail box of 04 Heritage untouched at K-Mart last Friday....so I bought the whole box. Looked like it had just been placed on the shelf. Here are the results:

Rickie Weeks Chrome Refractor
    Kyle Davies Chrome
    Donald Levinski Chrome
    Adam Dunn Chrome
    Al Kaline Clubhouse Collection GU Bat ! (1:3,055 packs for Group A)
    About 19 SPs

Not a bad box actually, still need a good number of base though so I am going to scour around for another retail box or maybe a few of the $29.99 deals. If anyone wants to trade me SPs that I need for my Chrome let me know.

Ken