Home U.S. Coin Forum

Please grade this 1914-D Lincoln

GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
I would like a few opinions on this lower-grade circulated 1914-D Lincoln. What do you think it grades?

Comments

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    VG
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Just taking a stab without look at my ANA standards book... VG10 maybe F12... not sure...
    -George
    42/92
  • f-12
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146

F12 is it? Thanks for the grades. image
  • Wheat stocks look a touch weak for F12 but is a solid VG10+
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG. Not much doubt about this one.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Definately VG, but what's the lumpy thing going on with the obverse?

Great job photographing the coin, BTW.

Atomic
    Estragon: I can't go on like this.
    Vladimir: That's what you think.
    - Samuel Beckett, Waiting For Godot
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Your coin is F12. 1914D cents are known for having weak, LDS reverses, which this one has, as is evidenced by the ghost clash-like image of Lincoln on the reverse. That only happens on later die state coins, and must be taken into effect when considering grade. By the wear on the obverse and the fact that there probably never was much detail on the wheat lines, it's in Fine grade.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭
    While I agree with coppercoins analysis, I disagree with the grade.

The grade IMO is VG-10. There are plenty of 14-D's that have the required wheat lines to be in true Fine condition. How can you take this coin, put it next to a 14-D that exhibits true technical Fine details and say these two coins are the same grade? This doesn't make sense to me anymore than calling non-full horn Buffalo Nickels VF. The pricing for Buffalo Nickels jumps in VF because thay are rare with the full horn. They are not so rare without the full horn.

Edit: It would make more sense to me in these circumstances to grade the obverse and reverse separately such as: F-12/VG-10

Joe.
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    good

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    VG
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Looks VG-10 to me. Here's why...

The oberse looks very nice. There are no distracting marks, only honest wear. The obverse is in my opininon F-12
    The reverse looks a bit worse. There are some marks + Wear. Reverse grades VG-10..

As sad, VG-10..

Dennis
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A solid VG, the fact the coin may have been weakly struck should be irrelavent with this much honest wear.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file