Home U.S. Coin Forum

Recommended coins

Can you guys tell what's the most recommended coin. image

Comments

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    1804 dollars.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • I want some thing good that is cheap. image
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    build you a nice set of the SAE dollar bullion coins...

stick em in a nice album......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • What's SAE? image
    What does cheap mean? Price range? SAE's are your icon.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • About 50 or 100$ is gonna be good. image
    Lots of stuff in that price range. Flying Eagle cent in VF, Lot of nice indian cents in various grades from G to MS. Mid-grade seated materia. Lots of higher grade newer stuff like frankies. It's a good price bracket.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elli: Mgoodm3 speaks the truth. Good place to start. If you prefer many coins for the money you can buy Indian head cents in G-VG by the roll. Also merc and walkers by the roll. Etc.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    Do you like higher grades common or lower grade rarer coins?
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Common Date PCGS & NGC Certified Morgan Dollars in MS-63 to MS-64PL can be purchased in the $35-75 Price Range such as the 1879-S, 1880-S, 1881-S, 1882-S, 1883, 1883-O, 1884, 1884-O, 1885, 1885-O, 1886, 1887, 1888.

(Relatively) common date Carson City Mint Morgan Dollars like the 1882-CC, 1883-CC & 1884-CC can be purchased in MS-63 to 64-PL from $130 to $210.

Finding choice and affordable examples of those 16 coins will get you started on a nice collection image Enjoy !! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Elli:

Before you embark on a shopping spree, I would recommend getting some basic primers on coin collecting and spending a little bit of time getting to know exactly what goes into the making of coins, something about grading, and most of all - look at lots of graded coins (PCGS and NGC) so that you can get a feel for what coins in particular grades look like as far as eye appeal, luster, general condition and so forth. Once you have done this, you will find that you will be naturally attracted to certain coins, and then you can start looking for specimens that are in your price range. It's best to know what you're getting into before you start purchasing - there are a lot of sharks in these waters!

Frank
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>build you a nice set of the SAE dollar bullion coins...

stick em in a nice album...... >>

Don't get a Dansco album. I just checked my Dansco album SAE collection last night and a few of them have already started to tone. Get an Intercept Shield album. So far my Intercept Shield SAE set have not toned any.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    There are many coins you can get in that price range, but only you can say what you like. Think about what kind of collection you'd like to put together first, then go after your coins one by one. It might be good to build a type set so you get a feel for many different coins.
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • If you're into pirate history at all, get a 1600's-1700's Spanish silver cob-- you can get
    a 1 reale, a 2 reale, maybe even a shipwreck 8 reale for $50-$100. It's a coin that never
    fails to impress!
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140

<< <i>Don't get a Dansco album. I just checked my Dansco album SAE collection last night and a few of them have already started to tone. >>

And this is a bad thing HOW?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything that is US and starts with 17.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any coins dated from 1787 thru 1799. These are the true US classics. The supply is very limited and the demand is high...and likely to stay that way.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • What start's 17? image
  • 291fifth is yanking your chain. You can't get US items that begin with 17.. for less than $100 unless they are extremely low grade and/or damaged.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elli,

My two cents on this matter is to get a book and study all of the different designs that are out there on coins. For someone your age, dont start worrying about investments or other peoples opinions.

Do what makes you happy. Pick out the design that you think is the prettiest/ most fascinating and concentrate on that. Do what makes you happy. Remember that this is a hobby made for enjoyment. As you get older and learn more then you can refine your decisions and go from there!!

Just a thought.

V.r,
    John
  • The Lieutenant has a good approach...
    Something you might consider...go get one of those Dansco or other brand type set albums. You can start by buying inexpensive hole fillers...learning about each coin, and something will eventually grab your interest and make it your "most recommended" coin.

My passion for Morgans goes back to one I won in a raffle as a teenager. I always thought overt the years that I'd like to collect them after that...and a few years ago I jumped back in to collecting with a vengance..
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    "Buy the book before the coin." Sage advice that will save you loads of trouble.
    Dr. Pete
  • meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    The best coins to collect are the ones that inspire you. The coins you just can't put down. I have a few that I look at everyday!!!!

WTS: The members who are telling you to get the knowledge first are correct. Although you'll find Cameron Keiffer is often picked on he is certainly an expert and should be able to assist you in locating materials specific to your interest. In the mean time start with the Redbook. Its a ready reference that will serve you well in focusing in on the series or types you are passionate about. Follow that with the ANA grading guide, and for good measure a specific text directed to the series that has your heart.

I would move slowly and examine a number of good pieces. Do you have a loupe? Nothing squelches a discordance on a particuliar attribute about a coin than a loupe used by a knowledgeable eye! Keep in mind its not a bad thing to wander into some type collecting here and there. They should be making you happy and insipring you.

Enjoy your hobby,

Dan Watson
    Strong buyer of US modern commems, MS and PR SAEs, mint and proof sets.
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • << build you a nice set of the SAE dollar bullion coins...

stick em in a nice album...... >>

Don't get a Dansco album. I just checked my Dansco album SAE collection last night and a few of them have already started to tone. Get an Intercept Shield album. So far my Intercept Shield SAE set have not toned any.

I can't speak for Lucy, but am fairly certain that toning was the precise idea here!

Ken
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend MY coins. The other guy's are garbage, always. It is amazing they even let him in the show with that stuff. My coins are all undergraded, shot 2 grades higher! I just don't like to "Max" 'em out. They're cheaper than the other guy's too, if you grade on a curve.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Canadian Small Cents - 1920 to date. Six key dates; costing $5-25 in Very Fine, and the rest can be
    had for a couple bucks or less. Chief Coin Supplys ( P.O. Box 254 Oshkosh WI 54903-0254 ) has a blue Whitman album to hold your colletion. A fun and affordable alternative to Lincoln Cents.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't get a Dansco album. I just checked my Dansco album SAE collection last night and a few of them have already started to tone. Get an Intercept Shield album. So far my Intercept Shield SAE set have not toned any.
    >>

heh heh, I'm hoping mine will tone in my new Dansco....

the Kitty loves colors..... white... boring and dullsville to me......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

• << <i>Don't get a Dansco album. I just checked my Dansco album SAE collection last night and a few of them have already started to tone. >>

As I was removing my SAE's from my Dansco album to sell back to my dealer (need to fund some type-set purchases), I noticed a tiny bit of toning on one of the coins. I promptly put all of the coins back in the album!!!
    Bill
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    What Starts With: "17"....???.........Nothing cheap !!!!!!!!!!image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file