Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Chicago This Weekend!!

Who's going and when? Also, is the group getting together for beers? Great chance to meet everyone.

Looking forward to it,

Glen

Comments

• Options
    I'll be there all weekend...wherever George puts me!! I always look forward to the show and the folks that stop by.
    Greg

Cameo Inn B&B
  • Options

I'll be there all day on Saturday......i hope to meet some of you there.

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    I'll be there at opening bell on Fri. and all day Sat....

Can't wait!!

Larry

I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    See if you guys can find old 3000th hit tickets (Brock, Kaline, Mays, etc.) I've got everyone from the 80s on. I don't have any from the games played in the 70s at all when the 3000th hit occured.

I don't expect anyone to go looking for me, but if you happen to see someone selling tickets, grab a card and let me know!

Thanks!
  • Options
    hello all,

a question for you. i will be going to the sun times show in chicago this weekend. (why not i live about 25 minutes away!!) some one said there is a dealer there that all the board people meet at. he has a nice selection of stuff 72 and older??? does anyone rememmber his name and have a idea where he might be set up????

look forward to seeing some of you there.
    looking to build the nicest 1973 topps baseball set I can in psa 8 in the longest amount of time.......I have money issues!!!!!!!
  • Options
    tiny11...

Seek out Joe at "SETBUILDERS" table......

Get some great cards and meet a few of the gang!!!

Larry

Greg Fisher of "Cameo Cards" will also be there...
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Flying out of Houston at 9:22 am Thursday morning -- I should be checked in at the Holiday Inn near the convention center by about 1:00 pm or so. If anybody is planning a gettogether Thursday night, please call me on my cell 713-553-0603. If not, I'll see you at the show.

Scott
  • Options
    flying in on friday..be there friday and sat...

see you all there
  • Options
    I have a booth right across from the autograph area. I sell acrylic displays (sorry no vintage cards) and supplies. I share the booth with Helmet King. So stop bye and let's chat. Would like to put a face with an icon !
  • Options
    Well....... It's 3:30 am here in Portland.....

Time to head East to Chicago....

Yawnnnnn........

See everybody there!!!!

Larry

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Baseball card wise - I am jealous of you guys this weekend... but I did have Fort Washington a couple weeks back.

On the other hand... this is my He-Man Women Haters weekend on a 300 acre gun club in upstate New York! This is year 22 for 8 guys, 1 half keg of beer, a couple of decks of cards, 18 pounds of ribs, 6 dozen eggs, 4 pounds of bacon, 35 pistols and rifles, 500 bucks worth of ammo, no running water and one out-house!

During the day - its target shooting and skeet shooting. At night its drinking, eating, cards and just laughing at each other until the wee hours of the morning. God... I love this weekend....

And no.... the drinking and shooting NEVER overlap. Ammo is not even allowed in the cabin.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    ITS~ show day.....work, are we talking about work!!!! I mean work, it aint like were talking about a show, its work,!!!...come on my teammates arent gonna get better thru work..really were talking about work!!! (please read as if iverson is talking)....ok...I guess everybody has realized by now I aint going to work...I am going to the show (pink floyd... remember the line in the song "time to go to the show")....

see you all there....

• Options
    Had a great time on Friday!!!! image

Got to meet King Kellogg, Gator05, DownGoesFrazier, Cameo Cards, and Joe Orlando. Saw some very cool things that others on the board are into. Joe Orlando was very good at letting even the small collectors like myself feel important.

Thanks again to all and I will probably see you guys on Sunday again. What time does the show open up???

Thanks,

Glen
  • Options

I've been looking forward to this show for two months and Wednesday i wake up SICK AS A DOG! I finally broke down and went to the doctor on Friday and he told me that i had a touch of the Flu and a bad case of Strep Throat so i didn't make the trip to Chicago today. I guess i'll have to wait till the National to meet everyone.

ChicagoGlen, Go back to the show on Sunday and spend some money for me.image

See you all at the National........I hope!image

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    Just got back in from Chicago -- great show. I stopped by the Set Builders booth several times -- met Joe and Bob -- but didn't connect up with anybody else I was hoping to meet -- just bad timing I guess. It was my first Chicago show in 20 years. The last time I was there, I was 15, and Pat Quinn and the late Don Steinbach were running it. I managed to do very well with what I do -- searching for high grade low pop commons. I came home with 360 of them 1958-1969. I hope PSA will be "kinder and gentler" when I start submitting them than they were on my last submission. Haha! image

More comments on the show. What the heck were Lorenzo Lamas and Mrs. Lamas doing there with a booth selling photos of themselves? Why was the PSA contingent almost all female while the BGS and GAI contingents were almost all males? Why do so many dealers still have their high-grade commons in sheets/albums? Why do so many dealers mix mid-grade and high-grade commons together in both their sheets/albums and in their boxes? Do all those sports art work dealers sell a lot of stuff or is it there mostly for show? -- I don't see many people walking out with that stuff. I can't believe they charged dealers $11 a day for parking at the convention center. I think I met more dealers from Texas than from the Chicago area. I think I met more dealers from everywhere else than from the Chicago area. Overall a very collector-friendly and warm-hearted show. And it appeared that business was brisk for everybody though I was too focused in on what I was doing to notice it much.

I'm just sorry I didn't meet more of the folks from here.

Scott
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>Why was the PSA contingent almost all female while the BGS and GAI contingents were almost all males? >>

• Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Scott> While it does take a bit longer to look through a batch of mixed mid-grade and high-grade stuff, I've found that dealers who don't seperate the two often charge less - sometimes significantly less. One dealer who I buy from regularly is like this and I almost always find over 100 high-grade 72s and 73s at his table every show. Sure I have to spend a little more time going through his stuff, but at about $1 per card. . .

I don't know what the parking situation is for dealers, but for collectors there's no reason to pay $11 to park if you don't want to. There's a "park and ride" lot for the Chicago bus system about 1/2 mile north on East River Road. While it's crowded on Friday night, it's almost deserted on Saturday and Sunday. It costs $1.50 (in quarters) to park there for the day. Sure it's a 1/2 mile walk so it's not practical in bad weather, but it's an option.

SuperPunk> There are three major shows in Chicago every year - March, June, and November.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

Good hunting...did you turn the cards in while at the show or are you going to submit them from home? At which tables did you have the best luck? I didn't do as well as I was hoping in searching for gradeable raw material. Much of it seemed to have been picked over, even by Friday at 5 when the show 'officially' opened although many of the dealers there had just come back from Ft Washington & other big shows lately so their stock may have been already depleted. I picked up about 75 cards I thought were gradeable bit about 1/3 turned out to have a tiny defect that sharper-eyed collectors must have caught before me. They'll still be upgrades for my raw sets.

• Options
    Hey all!!!

Well...... I had a blast with the show!

Got to meet a bunch of Registry guys, and they wore me out. Friday at opening bell, I made a bee-line for Setbuilers to see my 'ole friends Joe and Bob. They informed me that Scott Susor had already been there and checked in and was looking for the rest of the crazies... (I never did get to meet him...RATS!!...).

Visited with some familar faces...
    Joe and Bob, Setbuilders
    Greg Fisher, Cameo Cards
    Funky Frank, Late70sTopps
    Joe Orlando, PSA

Was introduced to some new faces...
    Mike Castaldi, Mcastaldi
    Phil, Downgoesfrazier
    Glen, ChicagoGlen
    Hubcap
    Matt, Gator05 (Boone too...ha..)

And missed a few faces....
    Paul, SUPERPUNK813 (hope you're feeling better...)
    tiny11
    ScottSusor
    bearsnum34
    Ripken

All in all..... I thought I fullfilled all my objectives...Meet as many of the Registry collectors as I can, Pick up oddball material (got 2 suitcases full....ha...), and drink a few beers...Mission accomplished!!!

SIDE NOTE...

If you want to see "ultimate focus and collecting intensity" ... spend a couple hours in a hotel suite with Funky Frank, Gator, Castaldi, and Phil. I was deeply humbled by the extream knowledge of this group. It was like sitting in on a baseball card "brain trust" event...... I was in shear awe....

Anyway..... Can't wait for the National....

(I'm bushed.....Time for a nap...)

Larry

CHEERS!!
  • Options

<< <i>Scott,

Good hunting...did you turn the cards in while at the show or are you going to submit them from home? At which tables did you have the best luck? I didn't do as well as I was hoping in searching for gradeable raw material. Much of it seemed to have been picked over, even by Friday at 5 when the show 'officially' opened although many of the dealers there had just come back from Ft Washington & other big shows lately so their stock may have been already depleted. I picked up about 75 cards I thought were gradeable bit about 1/3 turned out to have a tiny defect that sharper-eyed collectors must have caught before me. They'll still be upgrades for my raw sets. >>

I'll be submitting them from home. They have to go under the microscope first.

I got there at 11:30 am Friday, bought a $20 show pass, and nailed all the best stuff before anybody else had a chance. I guess that's why you found everything depleted by 5:00 pm. Sorry about that.

My best sources were Paul Sjolin (Houston), Paul Stark (Denver), and Scott Bradshaw (San Diego). But I didn't get to Scott until Saturday morning and somebody had already done damage there. I can always tell!

Scott
  • Options

Come on now Larry! What did you vcome back with???

Well...... I had a blast with the show!

Got to meet a bunch of Registry guys, and they wore me out. Friday at opening bell, I made a bee-line for Setbuilers to see my 'ole friends Joe and Bob. They informed me that Scott Susor had already been there and checked in and was looking for the rest of the crazies... (I never did get to meet him...RATS!!...).

Visited with some familar faces...
    Joe and Bob, Setbuilders
    Greg Fisher, Cameo Cards
    Funky Frank, Late70sTopps
    Joe Orlando, PSA

Was introduced to some new faces...
    Mike Castaldi, Mcastaldi
    Phil, Downgoesfrazier
    Glen, ChicagoGlen
    Hubcap
    Matt, Gator05 (Boone too...ha..)

And missed a few faces....
    Paul, SUPERPUNK813 (hope you're feeling better...)
    tiny11
    ScottSusor
    bearsnum34
    Ripken

All in all..... I thought I fullfilled all my objectives...Meet as many of the Registry collectors as I can, Pick up oddball material (got 2 suitcases full....ha...), and drink a few beers...Mission accomplished!!!

SIDE NOTE...

If you want to see "ultimate focus and collecting intensity" ... spend a couple hours in a hotel suite with Funky Frank, Gator, Castaldi, and Phil. I was deeply humbled by the extream knowledge of this group. It was like sitting in on a baseball card "brain trust" event...... I was in shear awe....

Anyway..... Can't wait for the National....

(I'm bushed.....Time for a nap...)

Larry >>

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

A $20 show pass? I thought it was either $10 a day or $70+ for the VIP which allowed entry 30 minutes early. What time were you able to get in?
  • Options
    Marz...

Well....Hmmmmmm....Let's see.....

A pile of slurpee coins....

2 wax boxes of 1986 O-P-C baseball...

3 wax boxes of topps minis...

1 wax box and 1 set of 1981 Topps scratch offs...

a group of Dodger lapel pins...

2 wax boxes of Sportflicks...

A huge pile of MSA discs...

a couple hundred small box sets...

1 1977 Topps vendor box...

1 1981 Donruss Nolan Ryan card PSA 9...

3 Kellogg's factory sets...

a pile of full game tickets (3000 hit game for Brett, Ripken, etc...)

......Hmmmmm....

Other than that.......not much.......imageimageimageimageimage

Larry

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    I made to it to the show and it was OK. I picked up a few odds and ends. It was great to see Joe Orlando and the rest of the PSA gang.

scottsusor: It's nice to see you had a great show, but quite frankly, your shrewd move of getting in five and a half hours early for $20 is a slap in the face to people like me who drove a good chunk of the day and paid $70 for a VIP ticket. I have a good idea how you managed to do it, but it's probably better to just let that issue die. It's no wonder why alot of the dealers had a lot of empty pages in their binders in the years I collect (early '60s) during the first hour of the show. It's stuff like this that undermines the purpose of going to a show and I'm also disappointed that these dealers let you cherrypick their inventory before the show started. I'm restraining myself from saying even more, but I'll only say that when you resell your "finds" on eBay, I promise you I won't be one of the people buying them - no matter how bad I need them. 'Nuff said.
  • Options
    I assure you that I did nothing illegal or unethical. I simply walked over from my hotel at 11:30 am Friday just to find out exactly where the show was going to be, not thinking that I could actually get in. I asked the guy at the front door if I could buy my Friday ticket then and come back at 5:00 pm. He said, "No, but if you want to buy a show pass for $20 you can go in now." I was a little surprised but why look a gift horse in the mouth? And I doubt that I was the only one who got in that way. I only went to dealers I knew personally and who already had their stuff all set up, which was only about half of them at that point anyway. There was plenty of pre-opening buying and selling action already going on, as is the norm at all shows.

Scott
  • Options
    scottsusor: Ahhhh yyyessss! The "FLOOR PASS" (wink, wink)!! Yeah, of course! I gotcha! Slip the guy watching the door a double sawbuck and you get the "FLOOR PASS". Got it! Man, have I been a complete schmuck for all these many years. Thanks for the tip buddy!