Ugh! Here is the ugliest 85-CC Morgan I have ever seen

Currently in Heritage's inventory for $280:

Comments

• Options
    Weird, the back looks ok.
  • Options
    JoeCool
  • Options
    For what it's worth, metal detector coin finds will often have one side in much better condition than the other. Because of the coin's orientation in the ground, it seems one side often gets more corrosion than the other from receiving more moisture.

This coin might be a metal detector find. Cleaning damage would be pretty typical for such a find too, since many detectorists like scouring with baking soda etc. to make coins shiny! image
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised ANACS only downgraded it by one grade: Fine to VG. "Corroded" and "Cleaned" should drop the value (grade) a bit more, don't you think?

peacockcoins

• Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I don't know Pat, but I sure wouldn't want it. They also have an 89-CC, AG details with all sorts of problems net graded FR02. They want a little under $200 for that one.
  • Options
    Fine details? The VG-8 net grade makes sense, but Fine seems a little generous to me.
    Bill
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know Pat, but I sure wouldn't want it. They also have an 89-CC, AG details with all sorts of problems net graded FR02. They want a little under $200 for that one. >>

An 89-CC for $200.00? Now you've got me looking for their site!

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>Fine details? The VG-8 net grade makes sense, but Fine seems a little generous to me. >>

Other than a ton of rim dings and old scratches... not too shabby!
    http://apps.heritagecoin.com/common/view_item.php?source=inventory,%20auction,%20post%20auction&Inventory_No=143266022&sid=AF7BF515B3ED7777B8887F25F21D775A

peacockcoins

• Options
    Yes, and they want $195 for it. Here's the link:

1889-CC
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    I've never met a CC dollar I didn't like.

Even ugly CC dollars need love too.image

GSAGUY
  • Options
    I think I'll hold out for a VG with no problems.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember well seeing a "perfect" steel grey NGC VF-30 '89-CC a few years back for around $600. I was tempted then...

Coulda, woulda, shoulda - oh well.
  • Options
    Yeah, a PCGS VG08 went tonight on eBay for $580.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, a PCGS VG08 went tonight on eBay for $580. >>

Seriously? It's a great coin- don't get me wrong, but it's an overrated date/MM, in my opinion.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Actually Pat, I don't agree. From a small mintage, there were no bags released in the 50s or 60s, and only a few circulated examples in the GSA hoard. These coins were either released for circulation, and suffered the normal attrition, or were destroyed in the great melts of 1918-1921 and during WW2. This coin is scarce in any condition, and I have been looking for a problem free circulated example for some time.

Here is the auction that closed tonight:

1889-CC Auction closed at $586.01
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    wulf, wulf
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options

<< <i>Actually Pat, I don't agree. From a small mintage, there were no bags released in the 50s or 60s, and only a few circulated examples in the GSA hoard. These coins were either released for circulation, and suffered the normal attrition, or were destroyed in the great melts of 1918-1921 and during WW2. This coin is scarce in any condition, and I have been looking for a problem free circulated example for some time. Here is the auction that closed tonight: 1889-CC Auction closed at $586.01 >>

I should probably re-think my position on this. There are many offered but most are not problem free. K6AZ- problem free examples are tough- the ones you are looking for. Makes me wonder though if the XF's and AU's are a bit overpriced?
    (here are a couple of other dates, for slightly less money, that I find to be more difficult.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    That is one ugly Carson City. I personally like my CC's in Mint State.

That is one instance where I wish ANACS did not grade cleaned and/or deformed coins!
    They say you need to pray if you want to go to heaven.... but they don't tell you what to say when your whole life has gone to hell.
  • Options

<< <i>I have been looking for a problem free circulated example for some time. >>

You might take a peek here . image
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another contender:

P.S. -- The reverse looks much worse!
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file