Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions on this Lincoln

In the chest area is it post mint ?
I have done so much with so little for so long that I can now do anything with nothing for ever

Comments

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • imageimage
    JoeCool
  • lapped die, common
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Are we talking about the missing vest line? Agreed, very common, especially on 1969-1972 cents. Also watch for other "Spadone Specials" (as I call them jokingly) such as a "floating roof" memorial reverse and the "no neck" or "no throat" coins...same effect, same cause, same value - nil.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are we talking about the missing vest line? Agreed, very common, especially on 1969-1972 cents. Also watch for other "Spadone Specials" (as I call them jokingly) such as a "floating roof" memorial reverse and the "no neck" or "no throat" coins...same effect, same cause, same value - nil. >>

Same cause, indeed. Die polishing (intentional die abrasion). The same kind of error as the "three-legged" buffalo nickel and the 1922 "no-D" cent (die pair #2). There's no rational reason that the latter two "varieites" should be worth much more than a "no neck Lincoln". However, hype and a herd mentality has converted these two die polishing errors into very sought after commodities.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had someone offer me a bunch of these, calling them "Lincoln Dropped his Pipe errors". I guess if you squint, the bit of the vest remaining under the date looks a little like a pipe.

Mike: Welcome aboard! I'm glad you finally made it in here.

Charles: I'm going to steal "Spadone Specials", that's a great way to describe this sort of "error." Let me know your royalty rate. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Oh Gee's, does this mean my Canadian errors will be called "Novelty" coins again!! image

• errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh Gee's, does this mean my Canadian errors will be called "Novelty" coins again!! image >>

Only if you start a thread on the subject. image

By the way, the correct spelling is "jeez".
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Gee's, now I can't say Gee's either!! God I hate people who are perfect!!!!!

Glad I didn't say what part was perfect! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file