Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What ever became of...

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
Askari? Has he been around lately?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    He has not been on the boards since the end of Feb. He has been bidding on eBay though. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I'm sure his darkness is present, it's in the air. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    No doubt he's busy preparing an elaborate, intricate, and impeccably well-researched thesis on something or another.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Darkhorse and Severo haven't been around too much either of late.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Alas and alack, the "real world" has had its steely claws in my hide.imageimageimage

My busy season at work has kicked in on overdrive and we've had a family situation with my mother-in-law -- a gracious lady, so no jokes! -- getting sick enough to have to go into the hospital where an intestinal obstruction turned out to be a large cancerous mass necessitating removal of a foot of her colon and rerouting her small intestine. The rest they couldn't touch because of the potential risk to her pancreas. They were to join us in taking the kids to Disney World for spring break, but instead, we left a week early to help her recuperate and then my wife and I took the kids down for 3 days and returned to let the grandkids regale them with their experiences. So far my 80-year-old mother-in-law has been healing rapidly and they expect to begin chemo soon to attack the remaining cancer. They let her return home last Sunday and she is already walking fairly well. I don't know that I'd do half as well if I had to undergo the same situation.

I know that having the grandchildren there was a great help to uplifting her mood and encouraging her to work through her pain. We even had my birthday "party" in her hospital room! It's hard to be festive in a hospital room, even a private one, but we did pretty well.

I don't know how much I'll be escaping from full to partial yetidom, but I sure as heck have missed y'all!!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Welcome back - sorry to hear about your family illness - life is full of priority choices - join us when you can. I always enjoy your posts.
    Shep
  • Options
    Askari, sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Sounds like she is doing well, so that's great news.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    Thanks Shep & Dennis!
    Askari

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Finally, some sanity.... >>

Uh, why is everybody suddenly looking at me? image

Askari

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Askari, glad to hear from you and that most things are OK. Your mom-in-law is in my prayers, as is your whole family.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear about your family troubles. My stepmother recently went through the same procedure. It was tough in the beginning but its been more than a year since the surgery and after some initial bumps she seems to be doing well. People do get through this.
  • Options
    Mark I hope she gets well soon.

Just don't go as yeti as the original yeti.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to read about you mother-in-law. She sounds like a woman of much spirit.

Come back when you are ready! In the meantime, we'll hold down the fort, even though it be invaded by trolls at the moment.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Askari,

Know that your family will be in our thoughts and prayers and that you are missed here!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Thanks all!! "Granny Dot" is a woman with an indomitable Christian spirit and came through her earlier breast cancer amazingly well. The good news -- as relative as it is (and what you have to accept as such in cancer cases) -- is that her new cancer is not colon cancer, as we originally feared, but metastasized breast cancer. Breast cancer is much more amenable to treatment than colon cancer. Her doctor was quite surprised to find breast cancer there since it usually only spreads to the bone, lungs, heart, or brain (none of which are particularly good news in of themselves). Her oncologist had never encountered it going to the colon. It proved hard to detect with MRIs because it was on the outside of the colon and in a place where it's hard to see. Fortunately, the treatment will be less severe than her original breast cancer.

Please also keep "Pawpaw" in your prayers. He's a retired Air Force chaplain and has gone into "chaplain mode" as my brother-in-law (who is a Baptist minister) calls it. He was pretty worn down himself and I made it my responsibility to keep reminding him to "take care of the caregiver" as well. It is difficult enough taking care of someone who cannot take care of themself; having to watch someone you've been married to for over 50 years go through all that is altogether much, much harder.

Fortunately, their devotion, devoutness and many loving Christian friends who have been very supportive and steadfast in sharing their prayers have proven a boon to Dot's recovery. I know my mother-in-law was really pleased to be released (early) from the hospital. She truly has improved markedly since we first saw her almost two weeks ago. Having her grandkids around really lifted her spirits (although it often exasperated ours ... as is ever the case for parentsimage).

Sorry to hear that there's been a need for jousting with trolls. Perchance news of my return may induce them to return to the dark glades and dank fens from whence they issued.image
    Askari

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

I know from firsthand experience that family health issues are never easy to deal with. I can only hope for you that things turn out as best as possible. Hang in there.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry to hear that your mother-in-law is not well... hope she improves quickly.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TTT
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    JoeCool
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice to hear that your mother in law is improving Mark. There's not much doctors can do if the patient is unwilling and it seems that your kids gave her the strength to continue.Keep on dropping by to update us, until your fulltime return .
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3