Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Jester's Challenge #222

Welcome to Jester's Challenge, an interactive history lesson.

It is my hope that this series will provide us with much entertainment, knowledge, and friendship, through the active participation of as many people as possible. Please tell us what you know of this coin, or anything related to it. Thank you all!

Here's selection number 222:

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    Cool Rupee!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "British East Africa which consisted of Kenya, Uganda and Tanganyika also incorporated the seaport of Mombasa which, until its entry into the general monetary system for the colony, issued a coinage of its own. This coinage, which was authorized by the British East Africa Company, consisted of the silver rupee and its fractions, the half and quarter, and two annas; copper pice or quarter annas were also issued. In 1897 it was decided to make the rupee as used in British India the basis of the currency and for the next three years copper one pice were issued bearing the legend FAST AFRICA PROTECTORATE and the young head of Queen Victoria. In 1905 further amendments were made to the coinage; the rupee was again taken as the standard but the divisions were to be in cents, the highest denomination of which was to be the fifty cents. Following the First World War, the Indian rupee was discarded in favour of the British coinage as the basis for the currency. The florin was divided into one hundred cents with the result that on the shilling the value is given thus: FIFTY cFrrTS-orrE SHILLING. Later, in 1921, the shilling became the standard and the legend on the fifty cents therefore reads HALF SHILLING."

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

If we can't believe your location Steve how can we believe the rest.image

<< <i>FAST AFRICA PROTECTORATE >>

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin Jester! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Nice one! Keep it up!

Mark
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much, guys!! I really love this coin too. It has subdued, but beautiful toning. Wish I had a digital camera to show the luster too.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    imageimageimageimage
    JoeCool