Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1956 proof Washington - guess the grade

I tend to buy 1956 proof coins. That was my birth year and I usually look at them and occasionally buy.

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know Washington grades for doodly-sqwat, but that one is sure purdy.

Nice cameo, how's the reverse?
  • Options
    Nice lookin' coin, Carl.

My W.A.G. would be 67 or 68DCAM. image

Don
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Well, if the reverse looks the same as the obverse, it has the typical look of a 68cam.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    67cam
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    It's nicer than most. I'd say if the reverse is as attractive as the obverse, PR69 Cam.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Carl. I'll stand by my original call. The fields are very clean but for a few typical toning spots, and I see NO marks. Nice coin. I think there's a little too much field frost and too little contrast on the reverse for it to get past cam, and on the wrong day, it might not get the cam designation, but I like it as a 69 Cam.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin, my guess PR66CAM.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    There is a 56 68cam and a 56 67Dcam on ebay currently running. Both PCGS. This looks closer to the 68cam based on the reverse.
  • Options
    68 DCAM
  • Options
    I like this coin. It is a tricky one to grade from a photo. Especially if you don't see the photo of the reverse. The obverse has solid cameo frosting, almost, if not, DCAM. The fields appear flawless to me. They are very reflective, though not perfect mirrors.

Part of the difficulty is my photos don't show the depth of the fields. The spots Don Heath mentions were on holder, that is another problem with my photo that makes grading harder. Anyway Don was closest to what is on the label and I'm happy with the grade: PCGS PR 69. There doesn't seem to be enough frosting on the upper parts of the Eagle's wings to make Cameo. I would guess NGC would give this one a 69*.
  • Options
    PR67 CDAM..image
    JoeCool
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    67CAM
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights