Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1967 Topps Demeter PSA 8 - $1,175 - WOW!!!

So I wake up this morning and see that the 67T Demeter just went for $1,175 in a PSA 8 - are u kidding me? I understand that the card is relatively tough and always goes for over $100 or so but the POP is a 20 or so with a couple of 9's to boot - maybe someone can explain it to me but as a collector of the 67 set for a number of years I just dont get it (understanding that it was 2 folks with some hefty max bids) - lets see how many more come to ebay in the coming months

ED
(treadway1)
Collecting 1967 Topps in psa 9 and 1971 topps in psa 8

Comments

• 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I think that someone thought they would get this card at $300-400. I would never put a bid in like that in the closing seconds, only to find out someone else did as well. There was a similiar situation around a year ago I believe, where there was a thread started (I believe started by the buyer) on whether he should pay or not. He put an outrageous "top all" bid on the item in the closing seconds, only to find out someone else did as well. image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Wow! I'd be sick to my stomach.

Having sold to both of the top two bidders in the past, I know they are strong players in mid-60's baseball, but that's gotta hurt.

Congrats are in order to krukcards, I guess.
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Thats alot of ground to make up with other cards (in regards to SMR)...if they ever decide to sell their sets.
  • I was watching this, too, and actually had a bid in. When I saw the final number, just couldn't believe my eyes. Kruk cards are probably doing a dance or two this morning, in jubilation. I love this hobby, and have been collecting for many years, but some of the prices people are paying to compete on the registry these days, never ceases to amaze me.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    That's absolutely incredible!

The Demeter is the arguably the toughest card in the set, plus the fact that it's a Red Sox player from the Impossible Dream team makes it a high demand card. It was the last card that I needed for my set and I finally found a raw example several years ago at a Ft. Washington show that I paid $65 for. It later graded PSA 8.

I recall VSI had a PSA 8 example at the National last year. I wish now I would have bought it. image

I recall the both 9's going on eBay and both going for around $400. I agree with Neal - the high bidder probably didn't expect to be challenged that high.
  • rw2winrw2win Posts: 557
    When you play with fire...
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Last time I was one of the bidders in a sniping contest like that -- I lost out with my bid of $444.44 for a 1975 OPC PSA 8 card!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>When you play with fire... >>

Agreed. Don't bid it if you don't want to pay it.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Krukcards is on to something.....................remember the thread where we were bashing his pics for the auctions? Well we were wrong!

I'm throwing out my scanner and taking crappy digitals from now on. This way, my PSA 8 84D Gwynn should bring $90 +

imageimageimage

BOTR
  • My 67 Demeter would probably grade a six, I think I will hold onto to mine.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • UllrUllr Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    I track all 1967 Red Sox graded (PSA,SGC,GAI) auctions and bid once in a while if my budget allows.

The last PSA 8 sold for $132.49
    The last two PSA 9's sold for $332.00 & $410.99

The third bidder came in @ $269.99 which is still crazy for a NM/MT "common".
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>Last time I was one of the bidders in a sniping contest like that -- I lost out with my bid of $444.44 for a 1975 OPC PSA 8 card! >>

Why do you have to constantly remind me of that one? image

That said, another one will not go for much less any time soon! image

JEB.
  • I heard the deal was that a finger slipped and 150 became 1150, and great relief
    that someone else had put in an "impossible to top" bid.

Remembering the days a few years back whenskylaneflyer was trying to complete
    his 1967 set and medium # but low pop PSA 8 commons with bids of $225 would be beaten by his.

I really should sort my set like toppsgun did to find out what 10 cards cost me the most.
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Dollar-wise my Demeter is #20 in terms of most expensive card, but won mine for much less than the other graded Demeters mentioned in this thread. However, in terms of % of SMR, Demeter is the #4 most expensive card in my set.

And, yes, doing a "% of SMR sort" is quite revealing. It makes one really appreciate raw submissions.image
  • The Registry is a great thing and so are graded cards. But for the price of that one card, one can probably pick-up a raw '67 partial set which will probably include a few 8s. Moreover, $1100 gets you a mid-grade pre-WWII superstar card. In hindsight, we look back and say we should have bought this and that. However, a few years from now, I hope many of us are glad that we didn't pay ridiculous prices for non-rare items. This hobby is going high-grade crazy, and that too will subside (remember graded prices in 1997-1999?)

I don't fault the buyer, since I've paid super premium prices to complete a set or to get that card I've always wanted.

Granted this was a 1967 high number, so only the buyer can determine if it was worth it.
    I'm just tired of PSA 10, super pristine, blah, blah, blah for a 1986 Topps card. If I'm buying a modern card, it had better be near perfect in raw.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • FWIW my PSA 8 Demeter was $66 in May 2000 ebay
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    WOW 1,175.00 for a 1967 Demeter in 8, Im impressed#! Morehead made good on his bid too as the feedback attests.

# more like in shock

Good for you.
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    that card cost more then my purchase in 2002 of a well centered psa 7 hank aaron rookie...which can be viewed below by clicking on the link...wild...
  • There's another one up in case anyone wants to break the record.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    no thanks i will pass....
    Good for you.
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    with that centering this one should go for a lot less
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • FYI -- I just got the grades on my latest submission which included what I thought to be a perfect '67 Demeter. Near perfect centering front and back -- 4 perfect corners -- no other flaws -- gorgeous -- it got an 8. ARGGHHH

Here it is:

Scott