Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cuba 3 Pesos

Over the weekend I acquired this coin and at first sight it appeared proof to me. However, Krause indicates a mintage of only 500 proof pieces, so I am in doubt.

Any ideas where I can check whether I have a proof coin or not (would have been easier if I could provide images, but I an unable to do so image)
4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like your post is only 8.74% complete...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like your post is only 8.74% complete... >>

You're too fast... mixed up with the keyboard image

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it's hard to tell, but a proof should have very sharp "corners"; very squared-off rims (what is commonly referred to as "wire rims"). That's difficult to explain without actually showing a proof next to a nonproof coin, but maybe you get the idea or already know what I'm talking about. Also, a proof should have an absolutely razor-sharp strike everywhere, as proofs are struck with greater pressure than business strikes. If the strike is even a tiny bit soft on some of the high points, you probably don't have a proof.

Even if one were to exclude "matte" proofs, not all proofs have mirrored surfaces, but most do. A proof will have mirrors instead of the "cartwheel" luster visible on a business strike coin. (Again, it's tough to explain without comparison pictures, and even then, mirrors and luster often do not show well in digital images.)

If you can find some way to take good pictures, from several different angles and including the edges, maybe somebody could tell.

PS- proof coins also have very delicate surfaces which are more prone to hairlines, or that show small hairlines and scuffs far sooner, anyway.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Is the one with Che on it? I have one that was pulled out of circulation by a friend who went to Cuba a few years ago. I thought it was proof for a moment but it seems that this are indeed "proof like". I asked about this on the Darkside when I got it and I was told that there is a minting process for nickel coins that can produce these proof like surfaces.

Is that someone who told me still around?
  • Options
    That's probably it. Indeed, the coin looks gorgeous and I may have mistaken a P/L coin for a proof.

Darn, no steal for me this time imageimage

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    It is a nice looking coin though, isn't it? I really like them.

I tried to find the old thread where I asked this question but it must be too old. I can't find it.
  • Options
    Yes, it's nice... wasn't too expensive either. Paid slightly less than $2 for it. image

Initially I even thought I just acquired my first Cuban commem... a dangerous sea to sail image