Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Storage: MJ Roop advice

I've read several posts regarding recommendations for MJ Roop products. Two questions:

How is their binder system for ~$49.00 that much better than a $5 nice binder with Ultra Pro sheets, and a homemade label?

Also, I haven't read any feedback regarding their Archiver Card Box (used to store slabbed, top loaders, Card Saver Is, etc.) It looks very attractive and sturdy, anybody have one?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I ordered the box 2 weeks ago, will let you know when I recieve it. Sure looks nice, and they had excellent follow up on the order.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    here is a correct MJ Roop Link
    imageimage
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I met the VP of the company at the Fort show last week, and talked to him extensively about their products. Everything seems top quality, and they really seem to care about customer service for collectors who buy their products. I almost bought 5 of the archiver boxes, but he told me about an all new, wood version of the archiver box that was on the way in a few months or less. The current box seemed very nice, however, but the new one will be even sturdier. I also recieved a nice info packet from the company this week. They seem like a first class operation.
  • Options
    By recommendation from a fellow board member, I ordered one for my '69 topps baseball set. I should be receiving it tomorrow or Tuesday. They look pretty cool. And I like the idea of the slip cover that comes with it, so you can store it upright without worrying about curling. E-mail me in a few days and I'll give you the scoop.
    everywhere you go
    there you are

marc in Hawaii
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>How is their binder system for ~$49.00 that much better than a $5 nice binder with Ultra Pro sheets, and a homemade label? >>

There is no difference except looks. The only thing the cards are touching are the Ultra Pro Sheets (they use the same kind as you can buy in a store)...that is what is "protecting" the card.

You are paying for the slipcase, optional checklist and the label.

They are releasing a wood version of their graded card box soon. In addition, they are looking into a metal box with a handle ( for the show guys) , as well as, a box that will be able to hold a greater number of PSA slabs (for the registry guys).
  • Options
    Great replies guys. What is a slipcover?

Also, I'll wait for the upgraded box soon to come.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Its a box that you slide the binder in to.

There are examples of the system on the website.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I own five of the binders and I think they are worth every penny. I am going to be ordering a few boxes as well, just debating on wood or cardboard.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭
    First, I like everything about MJ Roop (products, advertising) except the price. I'd rather have their system then my $4 Ultra-Pro binder but $50 is pretty steep for 1970 to present cards.

I would like to know if there are any 'slip covers' for a 3" inch binder that I could get myself. Protecting the cards with the cover would be a big value add for me. I would think they exist somewhere. Let me know.

Thanks,

Erik

ps - I will likely get one of their wood boxes when they come out
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Their binders are 2.5 inch D-Rings...Im sure you would need at least 2 binders to hold a 1970's mainstream Topps Set. $100.00 goes a long way in the world of late 70's Topps raw.
  • Options
    I love the Roop binders, and I'm gradually putting all of my vintage sets in them as my budget allows. I also have a couple of the storage boxes. For the 1964 Giants collectors, the current box will hold a complete graded set if you remove the four card trays and store the giants on their sides.

If you are interested in a more generic slip cover/ binder set - without the labels and checklists etc that Roop includes - most photo supply companies sell them. I have several that I ordered from Light Impressions

Like this one that sells for about $20.
    John Vineyard

• Options

Good Post...yep 2 1/2" D-Ring with a slip case...is the dimensions as Roops.

I guess it comes down to the sets that you want to put in the binder. For example, if you have a Caramels, Playball or 1950's Baseball raw set...that the $50.00 investment is peanuts...and its well worth it.

If you have a 1985 Topps Football set...then you might want to look for something more cost effective.
  • Options
    charliehustle14charliehustle14 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    MJ Roop seems to have a nice system, but I really like what these guys make better: www.cardalbums.com

I have my '67 baseball set (work in progess) in top loaders and 3 of those albums and it looks great. One thing about plastic sheets is that all it takes is one drop to the floor to get your cards all beat up. I would still worry about the long term effects of keeping a set in flimsy plastic sheets, even if you never look at it. I have most of a vending box '74 baseball set in Ultra Pro sheets that I have barely touched the last couple years, and many of the cards are starting to warp from storage in the sheets, especially those in the pocket in the bottom right corner. I stored them flat in a standard hobby album, but I can't imagine storing them upright would be any great improvement. Certainly the effects of gravity on the soft Polyethylene plastic sheets would be even more pronounced.

Dunno...This is just my $.02.

charlie
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I have 2 of the boxes and I love them. They hold 176 PSA cards and they are worth the $60.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I was thinking about purchasing a few MJ Roop boxes. I have many SGC cards in my collection that I do not intend to crossover, but SGC holders are much larger than the holders from any other grading company.

Do the MJ Roop boxes fit SGC holders?
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Koby - I do not think they do. I think they are designed for PSA and Beckett. I think GAI would fit, as the holders are almost the same size.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    A rep confirmed that the archival box also fits SGC, top loaders, and all other grading card company holders.

You might want to hold off on ordering the box as a new style will be coming out within the next six weeks. It will cost more, but will be even more attractive. The price of the current style box will probably drop by $10.

I just ordered one binder for my 1971 OPC baseball set. If I like it (most on this site love these), then I'll probably order five more to get the bulk discount; the savings can be quite substantial this way.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my first Roop binder at the last Ft. Washington show. I absolutely love it and plan on upgrading all my raw collections to their systems over time. I wondered for a long time if they were worth it. Now that I've finally got one I think the answer is yes.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Got two of the MJ Roop boxes delivered today. Excellent product and a very attractive storage solution.
    Building sets: 1888 N18 Parasol Drill, 1888 N19 Pirates of the Spanish Main, 1911 T68 Heroes/Men of History (PSA 4+), 1952 Bowman Baseball (PSA 6+), Pre-war British soccer sets