Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Heritage Portland ANA Registry Highlights - Lincolns

It looks like the continued strength is bringing more coins out of hiding...over 100 Lincolns are in this sale, most of them high end RED early dates. Most of this stuff is very nice for the grade too, although there are a few (very few) exceptions. The bulk of these coins came from a private collector with a good eye, although many high quality duplicates also made it to the show.

Early dates:

There seems to me to be one coin that stands out even in this group (well there is a high-grade 22 plain, but I'm thinking in terms of the basic set here):

1923-S Lincoln PCGS MS65RD

Any of the S-mint date in Gem Red are tough...any guesses where this will end up?

There are a number of other mintmarked early dates in Gem Red:1911-D and S, 1912-D and S, 1913-D, 1916-D through 1920-D, 1924-D through 1927-D, and 1928-S. I really liked the quality of one of the 1925-Ds (there are two in the sale) and the 1926-D. There is also a nice 1929-S in MS66RD.

High grade P mints: Every date from 1911 to 1924 save the 1914 has at least one MS66RD or better example...there are no 1919s in MS66RD but there are 3 MS67RDs. There are a handful of Superb Gems also among the later early years; 1925, 1927, and two 1933s (there is also a tough 1933-D MS67RD)

Short set coins: Only a few, as the ANA features a lot limit of 2,000 coins total, but some very tough dates in MS67RD: 1934-D, 1947-D, 1950-D, 1956, and 1958. I didn't get a change to look at the others, but the 50-D is a killer toned piece and the 58 is an incredible, near perfect specimen.

Memorial cents: NOTHING here for the basic set collectors...but there are two half-decent varieties image:

1969-S DDO PCGS MS62BN

Fresh, and as far as I can tell, about the 6th finest known to date. Some nicks, but very attractive and lustrous, and lots of crimson hiding in protected areas.

1970-S DDO PCGS MS65RD

Blazing orange-gold with some ruby and violet accents. Pop3/2.

These two would make a nice backbone to a top Memorial variety set...the 70-S is a point better than the one in the current #1 set, and both coins are essentially unobtainable better.

After looking at the bulk of these coins, I feel that the overall quality will make up for the fact that this is the third major infusion of material into the markplace this year; although a few nice pieces may go for nice prices. Thoughts, anyone?

RELLA
Do not fall into the error of the artisan
who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
twenty times.

Comments