Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1934 Heavy Motto Washington Quarter

Fellow Washington quarter collectors,

The following is a letter which I sent to PCGS yesterday in hopes that they will consider recognizing the 1934 Heavy Motto coin as a separate variety on the holder inserts, as they do the 1934 Light Motto coin. My reasons for this are stated in the letter. BJ Searls sent me back a note yesterday afternoon saying that my letter was being sent to David Hall and his grading staff for consideration. Anyone who feels as I do about this topic should also let PCGS know their feelings. Thanks. Tom Schiera
-----------------

Dear PCGS,

As an advanced collector of Washington quarters (1932-1964), I believe there is a matter regarding the 1934 motto varieties that should be and needs to be addressed and dually recognized.

The Philadelphia coins of 1934 possess a most unique distinction. The mottos on these coins carried three different varieties. There is the LIGHT MOTTO (motto of 1932) variety, which PCGS currently recognizes and identifies on their holder inserts. The other two varieties which exist are the MEDIUM MOTTO (motto of 1934 and 1935) and the HEAVY MOTTO (motto of 1936 and after). Neither of these varieties are currently recognized by PCGS, i.e. both are unattributed on the holder insert as to variety, without any distinction to either of these motto types.

It is my feeling that the HEAVY MOTTO variety should also be recognized individually/separately for what it is. Many collectors of this series seek out to collect all 3 motto varieties, and the HEAVY MOTTO variety is as rare, if not more rare, than the LIGHT MOTTO variety. Only one in about every 40 coins carries the HEAVY MOTTO. Although no exact mintage figures exist for the motto varieties, Breen estimates that the mintage of the HEAVY MOTTO variety could be less than 500,000, which would make it more rare than the LIGHT MOTTO type. With that being the case, mint state examples of the HEAVY MOTTO variety carry a substantial premium for collectors who seek out to collect all 3 motto varieties. With that being the case, I feel the HEAVY MOTTO variety should be distinctly recognized as "HEAVY MOTTO" on the holder inserts for these type coins. The HEAVY MOTTO coins warrant and deserve as much or more recognition as does the LIGHT MOTTO type coins.

With that said, I would like to request that consideration be given so that coins of the HEAVY MOTTO variety be recognized by PCGS on the holder inserts when encapsulated. I believe this is an important variety that warrants distinction as a separate and noted variety type among the 1934 Philadelphia coins of the Washington quarter series.

Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully submitted,

Tom Schiera
PCGS Registry participant for Washington quarters, 1932-1964.

Comments

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom,

I agree that the 1934 Heavy Motto should be recognized by PCGS, as it has been for decades by Washington enthusiasts, particularly since the Light Motto coins are designated. Why go just halfway?

I believe it's at least as important as some the the other Washington varieties, and currently is not receiving the respect it deserves.

I hope David Hall agrees to add it to set varieties set.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    I sent an email to DH supporting your idea.

Tom, doesn't the 34-D also come in regular and heavy. Should that date be designated as well?

Greg
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I worked with DH last year for many months to get the Heavy Motto included. I even presented all (3) coins, so the graders could easily see the differences. At the end, PCGS was simply not ready to recognize it at that time. Perhaps this will get the ball rolling again.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Didn't DH once put together a great Washington quarter set? I'm sure the three types are well known, even to the casual Washingto quarter collector.

Greg
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭
    Could someone pls post pictures of the three types?
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    Thank you to all for your comments.

Mitch: Thank you for your efforts to convince PCGS to recognize the Heavy Motto variety 1934-P. Them (PCGS) simply not wanting to do it does not warrant much of a reason for it not to be done, in my opinion.

Hopefully enough of us will voice our opinions in favor of the Heavy Motto coin being recognized. I certainly hope that PCGS will weigh it's merit for inclusion as part of the set more carefully/seriously. I beleive it should be as much a part of the variety coins as any of the other ones that already are recognized. Please, please voice your opinions to PCGS if you are in favor of this! The more of us who do so will further help convince PCGS to include it!

Tom Schiera
  • Options
    I agree with you, Tom.
    Perhaps if David heard enough voices,... image

I think another variety that should be considered is the "B" type reverses!

Don
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    emzeeemzee Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    The 3 varieties are pictured in Breen encyclopedia. Most obvious identifier of Heavy Motto is "W" of "We". On Heavy Motto, point in middle of W projects slightly above tops of either side, while on medium motto, point is below. Also, font used on Heavy Motto is thicker than that of Medium Motto, though hard to tell unless side by side. In the early 1990's, I tried for a couple years to locate as many nice HM pieces as I could at Long beach and other shows- they are few and far between. I did find a PCGS ms66, nicely toned, which is in my set, and several NGC 64's.
    Michael
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would certainly put my vote in for the Heavy Motto designation -- for both the P mints and D mints.

Doug
  • Options
    Tom
    I do sell alot of Washingtons and there is not a show that I do, that I am not asked for the 1934 heavy motto and also asked why PCGS does not recognize this coin? this may sound stupit but I DO NOT KNOW WHY I tell them. This is a business strike this coin IMHO is as great as the light motto also a business strike and both motto LIGHT & HEAVY should be a part of both registry sets like the standing liberty quarter(type 1 & type 2) the buffalo nickle (type 1 & type 2) & the 60 and 60d small & large dates lincolns
    Tom and Mitch thanks for sincere effort in keeping this 1934 heavy motto a real part of the Washington set

ZAPS COINS

Bob

WANTED a1942s double die obverse the doubling can be seen on the date AU or better
    collect all high grade Washingtons also Washingtons double dies,overmint marks and RPM's always buying