Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Little Help! (Part II):

I won't make a habit of this, I promise, but this one's been kind of bugging me for the last couple of years.
Anyone have additional information on what this is?

I appreciate it!

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    The begining of the end of the liteside for youimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Does it say 'Brunswick Halfpenny' and 'Payable at M.M. Vinctono'?
    A store (trade) token.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    A very nice 1793 British Conder Halfpenny Token. Unfortunately, to get more detailed info, you'd probably
    have to track down a book on Conder Tokens (struck roughly 1788-1811, most in the 1790's).
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll do that.
    I liked it because of the date.

"End of the lightside for you. . .

peacockcoins

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to your new home, Braddick!!!

By the way, I think Conder101 knows a bit about Conder tokens, as do Elverno and Farthing.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Probably an example like this one on my site. It appears to be the same because the variants involve where the spear ended up! image

Now that I look at it again it's dated a couple years earlier apparently. Just a couple of numbers difference in Dalton & Hamer's.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Middlesex Kilvington's DH 346. The token is dated 1795, not 1793 as the slab indicates. However, the 5 does look very much like a 3, you really need to use a loupe to see the difference.

There are 3 varieties for this token, 346, 346a and 346b based on the edge. 346 is common, 346 a, b are rated RR (very rare - the highest rarity is RRR).

The edges:
    346 - Engrailed
    346a - RICHARD BACON COC*EY LANE
    346b - Plain (not in collar)

The token looks accurately graded from the scan BTW. I have an example of 346 myself.

It is the same as elverno shows on his website.
    However, his entry should state that "Another die, D&H 347, has trivial differences.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Can't add too much to what Farthing said except tha J Kilvington actual address is unknown, the dies were engraved by Thomas Wyon of Birmingham and the token was struck by Peter Kempson, also of Birmingham. The mintage was 103,000 pieces for both #346 and 347 combined (plus the edge varieties). They are of about equal rarity, so figure a mintage of about 51,000.

It looks a little undergraded to me (Can't be sure because of the photo), it looks like it could be an XF-40. It's worth about $25. (If it is a VF then it's worth about $15 - $18.)
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Condor, you do know that telling Braddick that one of his coins is undergraded amounts to an insult right? image

We ARE watching you.