Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's the best Joe Mauer card(s) to get

I'm rather late in gettting on this bandwagon, but everything I read points to Joe Mauer being the real deal; another Johnny Bench. The proliferation of new product makes me wonder what the best rookie cards to get for him. I have only what Topps regular/traded come out with.

Also what is the take on getting a Gem Mint vs. a Mint and an autograph one. I'm sure there's a few auto inserts out there that may be the better value. I'd take a shot at say $50. What would that get me for a graded card and/or auto of him?

For those who don't know, he's been given the chance to catch everyday, as A.J. Piersynski (sp?) was shipped off to the Giants. It is already stated that he's ready for the job defensively and can handle pitchers and call a game, combined with blocking and throwing better just about anybody in the game today. He was also the USA Today High-School player of the year in football AND baseball, not to mention a guard for a state tourney caliber basketball team.

Dave Winfield, Paul Molitor, Jack Morris and Joe Mauer. All from St. Paul.

Plus the Twins have Minnesota (New Ulm) native Terry Steinbach on the coaching staff this year. Plus Mauer has all the intangibles off the field. I've read a lot of quotes about how impressed veterans are of his work ethic and quiet leadership/confidence.

Here's hoping he solidifies the Twins franchise for the next 20 years; and in a new ballpark!
Enjoy your collection!
Erik

Comments

• JmnesqJmnesq Posts: 250 ✭✭
    His best RCs are in the 2002 Bowman Chrome set. His only card is autoed, and comes in regular auto, refractor, xfractor, and gold. I don't think you could get the base card for $50.
    Jeff

Collecting Bowman Chrome Phillies Rookie Cards and Mike Schmidt certified auto cards.
  • The Bowman Chrome AUTO will always be his best RC, currently booking at $100 and probably selling pretty close to that on ebay for a decently centered one. His best valued RC right now is also his rarest true RC, the Topps Reserve which is factory numbered to 999 I think and tough to find. There are an estimated 1700 of his Bowman Chrome regular AUTO RC and then another 800 in parallels of the card.
    Jason
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. After a little research, I think I'm going to go for:

1. 2002 T206 Autograph Relic (nice looking card)
    2. 2002 Topps Reserve (due to the 999 print run...not a real eye-catching card)
    3. 2002 Bowman Heritage auto (good looking card)
    4. 2002 Bowman, regular

I despise chrome and refractor cards. They just have such a contrived look and feel to them. So I'll very likely pass on the 2002 Bowman Chrome version.

Thanks!
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Too bad Estang....you miss the boat on your bias as to the look/feel of the chrome card.

There is no better benchmark modern card than Bowman Chrome for rookie value. This card will hold its value head and shoulders above all others year in and out.

I collect all modern rookie cards and can't think of a better product, even those artificially pumped up by lower production such as SPX or UD Ultimate Collection.

However, in Mauer's case Bowman Chrome is the hands down winner for value and buyer/collector appeal.

BTW, another card, not mentioned is his nice Upper Deck USA 2002 auto card.....decent as well.
  • Wasn't sure if you guys saw this Mauer article by Peter Gammons. If you change your mind on the Mauer Bowman Chrome, I've got a PSA 9 Refractor up to end on Sunday night.
    Jason
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Jason....I'll check out your auction...I buy/sell Mauer regularly.

I just bought a BGS 9 refractor from a buddy on the BGS boards @ $200 so he ended the auction early.

Now, I'll go check yours right now !
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here you go Greencrow, don't say I never did anything for you. image