Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

List the ten most important coins of all time

Here's my list in chronological order. My emphasis was on the actual function of money and I realize some are not specific as to a particular date. What would your list contain and why?

1. Lydian coinage c. 600 BC. After a brief period of blank "nugget" coinage, Lydia issued the first true coins with an identifiable government symbol, the lion. Pictured is a Lydian electrum trite.

2. Athens Tetradrachm c 430 BC. The first coin widely accepted outside of the issuing city. Athenian "Owls" were the trade coinage of the day and were the standard by which all other Greek coins were measured.

3. The Roman Denarius. Introduced in 211 BC, the denarius was the standard coin of the Roman Empire and widely copied by other cultures. The denomination didn't die with Rome however, during the medieval perion c 775 AD, Pepin of France issued a silver Deniar based on the denarius and all of Europe followed suit issuing the Denaro, Pfenning, etc., and the English Penny which became the standard medieval Europen silver coin. Pictured is a denarius from the Roman Republic era.

4. The Roman "brass" sestertius. Previously a silver coin worth 1/4 a denarius, it was transformed into a 25-30 gram brass coin during Octavian's coinage reform. The sestertius was a large heavy coin and was used as the propoganda machine of the Roman Empire with hundreds of reverse varieties depecting Rome's civil and military accomplishments, the newspapers of the day. Pictured is a sestertius of Trajan c115 AD depicting the Circus Maximus.

5. Byzantine Gold Solidus. While most of Europe languished in the dark ages, the Byzantine Empire, which was the remnent of the Eastern Roman Empire, kept western culture alive. The solidus was widely accepted and copied throughout the world during a time when most countries only issued silver. Pictured is a Solidus of Justinian c 530 AD.

6. Joachmisthaler of Tyrol (modern Hungary). Introduced in 1484, the Joachmisthaler quickly established itself as the standard coin of Europe, evolving into the thaler, tallero, rigsdaler, and dollar. Known today as "silver crowns", they set the standard for Europen coinage to this day. Picture is a Gothic Crown of Queen Victoria, considered by many to be the most beautiful coin of all time.

7. Spanish colonial 8 reales. One of the heirs of the joachmisthaler, the Spanish colonial 8 reals (silver dollar) was minted at many new world mints in North and South America. It was the standard trade coinage of the day and the standard coin of Colonial America. When the newly independent United States first minted its own silver dollar, it was based on the Spanish 8 reales.

8. 1797 copper English Penny and Two Pence. Made by Matthew Boulton at the Soho mint, the 1797 copper coins represent a revolutionary change in coinage manufacture. They are the first coins made with steam power and are a uniform diameter and weight with an overall "clean" apparence compared to earlier coins. They represent the first modern coins.

9. The 1854-s $20 Double Eagle. The California gold rush of 1849 was one of the most pivotal events in history. Gold flooded the world market in an unpresedented volume and the United States became the richest nation in the world. California became s state one year later in 1850 and the San Francisco mint was established in 1854 to mint the huge volume of gold into the newly created $20 denomination. Containing nearly an ounce of pure gold each, the 1854-s $20 represents the inaugural issue from the mint.

10. The Lincoln Cent. First minted in 1909 to commemorate the 100th annaversary of Lincoln's birth, and still being minted today almost 100 years later, the Lincoln cent is the most widely produced coin in history. Literally hundreds of billions of them have been produced and represent the single most common coin ever made.

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pretty darn nice line up and write up.

I'm impressed image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No real argument with your lineup. I would suggest, however, that as far as basic design is concerned, I would add the reintroduction of the realistic profile to the list. In the case of English coinage, the later coins of Henry VII were important, starting a style that lasts to this day.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone post a gold sovereign please. My scan is not good.

I'd loose the Lincoln cent from the above list and replace it with a farthing.I have a few other candidates in mind, but not much time right now.

Good list, excellent comments Donovan.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    How about the Maria Theresia Thaler?
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Nice list, although surprised that Lincoln Cents made the cut and sovereigns did not.

<< <i>My emphasis was on the actual function of money >>

Rather than pontificate endlessly, the international importance of the sovereign through a large part of history since 1817 to the late 1950's makes it a prime candidate IMHO

But I could be somewhat biased since I collect sovereigns and don't have a single Lincoln cent.

• Options

<< <i>Someone post a gold sovereign please. My scan is not good. >>

• Options
    Nice coins! I agree with your list for the biggest part of it, but there is one type missing in my opinion: The first European gros. For centuries the only coins used in medieval Europe were pennies. It was a major step forward when the gros was introduced. I believe the French were the first ones to strike it.

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool post, I can't say that I disagree with any of the choices.

If you decide to expand to 20 coins, please add the Russian Kopek, simply holding such a massive coin

has got to be worth something.
  • Options

<< <i>How about the Maria Theresia Thaler? >>

Minted continuously for more than twice as long as the Lincoln Cent (it's not properly identified as a "penny"), obverse, and four times as long as the current reverse; and without the multiple metal changes!
    Roy

• Options
    DonovanDonovan Posts: 386

<< <i>Nice coins! I agree with your list for the biggest part of it, but there is one type missing in my opinion: The first European gros. For centuries the only coins used in medieval Europe were pennies. It was a major step forward when the gros was introduced. I believe the French were the first ones to strike it.

Marcel >>

I agree, the Gros was on my short list but didn't make the cut. My cut is my opinion obviously and the list was meant to stimulate discussion such as this. Good post on the Gros, which morphed into the Grosso, Groschen, and English Groat (one of my favorite medieval coins).
  • Options
    I'd replace the Zincoln image with Venetian ducats and grossi (sp?).

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least two countries that had dated designs unchaged for longer than the Lincoln cent.
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the Lincoln should be replaced with the Euro. When in history have different countries with different cultures all agreed on a uniform monetary system.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone post a gold sovereign please. My scan is not good. >>

image >>

Hey, that's a Canadian sovereign! image

Why aren't there any state quarters or Reel Coinz on the list?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent thread!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BigAlanBigAlan Posts: 311
    ...the Lincoln cent is the most widely produced coin in history. Literally hundreds of billions of them have been produced and represent the single most common coin ever made.

You wonder where they all went. Somewhere, in a fold in the space/time fabric of the universe, they wait.

"It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • Options

<< <i>
    Off the top of my head, I can think of at least two countries that had dated designs unchaged for longer than the Lincoln cent. >>

The main point wasn't about how long Lincoln cents were made, but the fact that they have been produced in the hundreds of billions, far more than any other coin in history.
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if the Lincoln should be replaced with the Euro. When in history have different countries with different cultures all agreed on a uniform monetary system.
    ] >>

Good point! I think the Euro definately qualifies as a major historical coinage.
  • Options
    Interesting list. I was thinking about Chinese cash coins, the Mark Antony denarius and the LMU standard franc.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    interesting topic!!

I think that this list should be about 20 - 25 coins long. Including the coins mentioned above and also a company coin (Ex Br East India Co.) and occupational coinages, possibly Roman or more modern.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Also, I've always wanted some of those Lydian coins, very cool!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's my list in chronological order. My emphasis was on the actual function of money and I realize some are not specific as to a particular date. What would your list contain and why?

>>

I definitely agree that "actual function as money" is an important criterion for
    determining a coin's importance. This might be defined as:

1- -The total value of all the goods and services purchased with the coin.

2- -The number of people who actually used the coin at some point in time.

&3- -The lenght of time the coin circulated.

On this basis the US clad quarter probably deserves a place on the list. Granted
    there are also other criteria in determining importance and the quarter is not as
    important on other scales.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>
    On this basis the US clad quarter probably deserves a place on the list. Granted
    there are also other criteria in determining importance and the quarter is not as
    important on other scales. >>

I'm sorry but anything made of clad isn't a real coin. image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'm sorry but anything made of clad isn't a real coin. image >>

Yea, yea, I've heard that one before.image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm sorry but anything made of clad isn't a real coin. image >>