Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wax stain remover. Anyone know of one?

Well...not just any. I am looking for a liquid solution to remove (wax and/or gum) stains from the back of a card.

Several years ago, I saw bottles of this potion for sale in the SCD. Anyone care to share your tricks.

Please send a private message!

Comments

• Options
    try using pantyhose....seriously
  • Options
    nylons won't work on the back of a card.
  • Options
    Inside sources tell me all that solution was was...believe it or not lighter fluid! and yes nylon pantyhose do work on the front of a card. I will not remove wax with a solution because no one is sure of the long term effects it will have on a card but i have seen someone remove wax from the reverse of a card with lighter fluid so i know it does work, but will the card disintegrate down the road, possibly i dont know thats why i would not do it though it does work.image
  • Options

<< <i>Inside sources tell me all that solution was was...believe it or not lighter fluid! and yes nylon pantyhose do work on the front of a card. I will not remove wax with a solution because no one is sure of the long term effects it will have on a card but i have seen someone remove wax from the reverse of a card with lighter fluid so i know it does work, but will the card disintegrate down the road, possibly i dont know thats why i would not do it though it does work.image >>

If that's the case you can always try to dilute it with good 'ole water. Find a mixture that works with a few commons and then use it on the other.
    Move along folks.......Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    Didn't Alan Rosen ("Mr. Mint") have some special solution he swore by several years ago?? If my memory serves me right, I believe it used to be advertised in SCD.

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Wax on the front of the cards...... Panty hose

Stains...........

E-Bay image

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    rw2winrw2win Posts: 557
    Lighter fluid huh? Maybe that's why the holder catches fire so quickly...see other thread...
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Folks!

Don't give Mr. Mint $40 for a $2 bottle of solvent... run, don't walk, to your nearest art supply store or crafts shop (like Michael's) and buy rubber cement thinner... I am a graphic designer and I have been using this stuff for years to remove wax from the backs of cards... you can literally soak a card and it won't stain, warp, wrinkle or soil the card in any way once it dries. It'll do it on stuff all the way back to the 50s... only hint, don't rub too hard as it will remove some of the ink on the card as well!

Don't thank me for saving you $35... just thank me that we aren't making Mr. Mint richer!

Keith
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    while i have never done it i do remm back in the 80z the store just north of me used lighter fluid in getting the wax off a front of a card and he also if memory serves me also used a nylon stocking.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Keith-
    Do you mean good ol' bestine?
    Never tried it on cards, should have a gallon in the loft next to the stat camera and lucyograph!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Griffins;

Bestine -- You got it! Sounds like your an old-time design guy too! The "Lucy" i haven't heard that in 15 years! (Back in my day... heh heh). And you can sniff it while you soak the cards too! image
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Tried Bestine with decent, but not spectacular results. Some of the wax comes off..some doesn't. You definitely have to be sure to not rub too hard.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tried Bestine with decent, but not spectacular results. Some of the wax comes off..some doesn't. >>

ditto for me.

CON 40 can you elaborate?

BOTR