Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1919 Buff nickel question

08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
What are some of the trouble spots on the buffalo nickel series?

Here is my 1919 nothing special but I like it and will keep it in my pocket as a reminder of my mom she was born in 1919.

Would appreciate any comments regarding the trouble areas in this series.
Rookie Joe

Comments

• Options
    Nice pocket piece, with personal meaning to you.

I'm not certain what you mean by trouble spots on the series, but some of the difficult areas I've found in collecting
    them are the strong/weak strikes which are usually but not always attributable to particular dates and specific branch
    mints.

Another area of problems that makes them a particularly difficult series to grade is the difference of strike from obverse
    to reverse on the same coin, due to the use of worn dies especially on the reverse in the mid teens and early twenties.
    A sharply struck obverse with a worn die used for the reverse results in an apparent disparate wear pattern which isn't
    really the case. Rim wear seems to me to be more reliable for gauging the wear component on circulated examples.

Being an alloy of 75% copper and 25% nickel, verdigris formations (the green crusty stuff) is a particular problem for the
    series compared to silver coins.

This series is the coin collectors' Poster Child for 'buying the book' first, IMO.

Best of luck in the hunt.
    Every day is a gift.
  • Options
    Thanks Libertad,
    I noticed the strike difference on the coin I have. It seems the reverse is worn much more than the obverse but I think what you said is correct the reverse was struck poorly. What I meant by trouble spots is some have mentioned about the feathers, or the buffalo's tail as being difficult to find whole.
    Rookie Joe
  • Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    Welcome Joe!

You have a very nice nickel there. I believe I would try to preserve that coin in a 2x2 holder rather than subject it to more wear rolling around in your pocket. Your coin grades a nice VF in my opinion(note the full horn, the key to attaining a VF grade) and, as such, makes it a very desirable coin since many collectors build sets in this grade.

Libertad touched on many pertinent facts. Let me add that the first areas to show wear in the series are the indian's hair detail directly above the ribbon and the shoulder and head detail on the buffalo (generally speaking). Some issues had strong central devices but poorly struck peripheries. Strike quality can vary widely from year to year.

An excellent reference is "The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels" by David Lange.

Being a Buffalo nickel collector myself, I hope this coin inspires you to research the series and perhaps join our ranks! It's a wonderful example and a great reminder of someone dear to your heart.

Mojo

"I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    Thanks MOJO,
    I will look for that book. I haven't decided on any series of coins to collect. A few different series interest me this is one of them.
    joe
  • Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    Good luck! Hey, I forgot to mention: neat die crack on the reverse at "FIVE CENTS". Gives it added character.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

<< <i>An excellent reference is "The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels" by David Lange. >>

If you decide to pursue this series, this book is a must. Hope to see you posting more buff's soon.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    Thanks Ken,
    I will check out the library tomorrow and see if they have a copy if not I will look to buy one.
    Joe

Also: Mojo I have it in a flip in my pocket.
  • Options
    I bought David Langes book on Mercury Dimes, and it has been a great asset, so I would assume his book on Buffs would be good to. Welcome and good luck to you! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Lange's books are excellent references, and will expand your knowledge significantly on the series
    and individual issue problem areas.

You might consider picking up a round acrylic holder (AirTite) or the Kointain (polycarbonate) product (hugs the rim
    and keeps contact with the main surfaces to a minimum) to protect your '19 from contact marks and further
    wear. Keeps you from flinging it on the counter by mistake as change, too.

The Lange reference goes into detail with regard to the series, including the differences in the San Francisco mint
    'basining' of the dies which results in a specific look to that branch mint's issues. Lots to learn from the book.

Dang near as much enjoyment as the collecting !
    Every day is a gift.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file