Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Denominations on Bullion

Just how do they work? Shouldn't they be more reflective of the spot value of the metal in the year they are minted? Or at least substantially higher? For example, why doesn't an SAE have at least a face value of $4?

We ARE watching you.

Comments

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    they are sold as bullion collectables...with a premium..if your saying a 5 dollar gold coin should have 5 bucks in gold...thats wack

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    they are sold as bullion collectables...with a premium..if your saying a 5 dollar gold coin should have 5 bucks in gold...thats wack

Well, that would be one itsy-bitsy coin, but why not? Where is the logic? Silver is about $6 an ounce today, and if I were making one-ounce silver coins, I would put a denomination of three dollars on them. I doubt silver would drop to less than $3 dollars an ounce. If they're JUST collectibles, why have a denomination at all?

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Yeah,and there even BIGGER than a large size dollar coin yet their face value is only 1$.So I agree,why have denominations on bullion at all?
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Because making them so legitimizes them as official coinage, rather than mere medals with no official legal-tender status.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file