Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lets play Guess the Vam

BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
it is a 1878 8 tf vam ? imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    yes, 8TF. A1f reverse looks like. Only 2 different VAMS, if memory serves, both common.
  • BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    look at the wreath it is doubled....
  • BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    so is tates image
  • Looks like mechanical doubling. Your picture is a little fuzzy. Does it look like mine in the way it is "doubled"?

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doubling in TRUST looks like strike doubling... rest of coin looks like VAM 2 (???)
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Dennis, sorry to confuse you. "trust" is from my coin to illustrate {mechanical/strike} doubling. It's not from his 1878 8TF coin.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat!... at least I got that part right.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • My Society of Silver Dollar Collectors "The 1878 Morgan Dollar 8-TF Attribution System" Guide book by Les Hartnett and Jeff Oxman, lists this A1f reverse as being paired with three different obverses, VAM 12, 16 and 17. All common. VAM 12 has notched stars, to the right of the date; VAM 16 has some strong doubling of the first four stars to the left of the date and a die crack running the the "7" between the 8's in the date; and VAM 17 has two closely spaced die polishing lines, slightly diagonally in front of the eye and die chips in the lower loop of the first "8" in the date. Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file