Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

does anyone here collect proof platinum bullion?

It seems that with a design change each year on the reverse there could be tremendous variety for a display. Is the chief engraver at the mint responsible for this series and does he change the design? What denomination works best on seeing the design well-enough and affordability?
USPI minimalist design collage
designset
Treasury Seals Type Set

Comments

• Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Agreed. I do collect some of them. The mintages are so, so small. Only unc. gold modern commems compete. Some day, some day, numismatists will have a moment of enlightenment and realize that rarity really does increase value. I can't figure why Lincoln '09 S-VDB's hum along at such inflated prices -- every one ever made is still in collectors hands and they made, what, almost 500,000 of those puppies? A coin that is made in the 10,000 (or less) to 20,000 range-- to me that's a no-brainer.
    DSW
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I've collected the 1/4 oz size (and 1/10 oz.) due to cost. I think it's big enough to see the design. I think Mercanti did these. The proof 1/10 oz can be had for near melt value these days.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I would love to collect these. The prices, I'm afraid, are just a little too dear for me.
  • Options
    byergobyergo Posts: 586
    They are minted in small numbers, but nearly 100% remain in perfect mint state condition, thus not rare at all.
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • Options
    After seeing what's in store for the 2004 design I am thinking of collecting them in the 1/4 ounze size.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>Is the chief engraver at the mint responsible for this series >>

There is no chief engraver at the mint. That office was abolished about 14 years ago.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file