Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Washington DC trip

Is there anything there that a coin collector MUST see? I have never been there but I am going next month.
I think the Smithsonian (sp?) has a great display. What about anything else?
Thanks,
Joe

Comments

• Options
    Totally un-coin related, but stop down in Annapolis and see the Naval Academyimage
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Go to the American History Museum, part of the Smithsonian. As you are facing the Capital Bldg, it's on the left side of the Mall. They have the coin collection in that bldg. There are so many gold coins, you'd faint at the sight of them. If you are going to be there on a weekend, send me a PM and we can meet. I live about an hour and a half away.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    I am going to be there on the weekend but I'm not sure if I will have a lot of free time. I am going with my son on his class trip.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Totally un-coin related, but stop down in Annapolis and see the Naval Academy >>

Wow, a school for belly-buttons!!! Who would have thunk it!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    The Cherry Blossoms blooming by the Potomac. Won't be long...

A good hot dog with cheese, onions and ketchup ain't bad either.

• Options

<< <i>Wow, a school for belly-buttons!!! Who would have thunk it! >>

<<sigh>>
  • Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Go see this............a must!

The Wall
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, a school for belly-buttons!!! Who would have thunk it! >>

Not quite, but funny anyway.

Naval - ship type things
    Navel - belly button type things
  • Options
    Aside from the Smithsonian, if you were in DC during a weekday, you could take a tour of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and you get to see large stacks of uncut currency through an inch of bullet proof glass. You can also buy sheets of uncut currency at the store. Uncut currency is always a cool gift, especially if you have friends outside of US.

BEP website
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    The Bureau of Engraving and Printing is a cool trip.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    The BEP is just around the corner from the Washington Momument. I agree. It is a cool place to tour. Look for a sign hanging on the wall where they print the bills that says "I just printed more money in one minute than I will ever have!". (or something like that).
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A "must see" is Julian Leidman at Bonanza Coins in Silver Springs. He's a great guy, who I can't say enough good things about. His number is: 301-585-1480.
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    You can always swing over to Columbia and drop in on Coast to Coast Coins
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    If you want any U.S. Mint products, you can buy them direct at a kiosk in Union Station. No shipping, handling or taxes to pay. You also get to look at the product you are receiving. If you are travelling with others, there is a Godiva store close to the Mint kiosk.

There is a stop on the Red Line Metro so it is simple to get to. Also just a couple of blocks from the Capitol building and next door to the original Post Office building. You might want a tour there also.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

<< <i>Aside from the Smithsonian, if you were in DC during a weekday, you could take a tour of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and you get to see large stacks of uncut currency through an inch of bullet proof glass. You can also buy sheets of uncut currency at the store. Uncut currency is always a cool gift, especially if you have friends outside of US.

BEP website >>

I agree. Went there for a highschool trip a loooonngg time ago and it was great. Just seeing those pallets of money..image
  • Options
    joe,
    Coins aside, if you have time to get down on the mall, try to visit the Vietnam Wall and the Korean War Memorial. They are really moving. And, one of my favorite places, which takes more time, is Arlington National Cemetary and the changing of the guard of the tomb of the unknown soldiers. All of the above are fantastic for a patriot!!

Edited for spelling
    Gary
  • Options
    Smithsonian Coin collection is a must. (Where else do you see 1804 dollars and a
    1933 double eagle together?)

Bureau of Engraving and Printing is great.

On the non coin side you need the Air and Space Museum, and the National Archives
    (for the Constitution and Declaration of Independance - always neat to see the original)
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    The Smithsonian coin collection has a great selection of coins, especially the Lilly collection of gold coins. However, it's kind of depressing to see how badly the coins are cared for -- some of them are covered in a layer of dust inside the display cases.

If you go during the Cherry Blossom festival, be prepared for huge crowds and don't even think about trying to drive into the city. imageimage
  • Options
    You should check out Old Town Alexandria (where I live). There are many things to see there. Plus, you're only 8 miles from Mount Vernon, GW's house. In DC, you should contact your member of Congress and he/she should be able to arrange a US Capital tour for you. Also, the Holocaust Museum is a very sobering place. And if you have anytime left, try and get a tour of the Pentagon. It's pretty cool.
    heath
  • Options
    Directions to the Smithsonian's coin collection: It is housed in the National Museum of American History, which is on the corner of 14th and Constitution Avenue. The museum opens at 9:30 or 10am. By subway, use the Federal Triangle or Smithsonian Metro stop. The display is on the third floor. From the mall entrance, go forward, bear a little to the right, and take the elevator up. From the street entrance, use the elevator you will see a few steps in on your left.

The guards and staff have heard all the jokes. Don't even think of asking for free samples. If you are very, very lucky, there will be some collectible coins for sales in the basement gift shop.

You may be suprised at all the tarnish you'll see. You may enjoy seeing hundreds of 4-ducat gold restrikes used as decoration. You may even be pleased to discover that some of the coins in your collection are better than those of the Smithsonian! Enjoy!
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    DollarsDollars Posts: 617
    I just took my class to the American History Museum today. Went to the third floor where the Money and Medals diplay is. I have been there before but some how miss the display of gold coins that a collector has on display there. I think his last name is Lilly. (Didn't look to hard at the name, the coins blew me away. It is an obscene amount of gold coins.... Man, they guy that was with me (another instructor) asked if I was going to be alright.

Worth the trip. And yes, some of the coins I have are better than what they have on display.
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars
  • Options
    Dave is referring to "The Josiah K. Lilly" collection of 6,125 gold coins, perhaps the largest private numismatic gold hoard ever collected. When Mr. Lilly died his heirs planned to break it up, but in 1967 an impressive bipartisan movement in Congress passed into law a provision for $5.5 million in tax credits to his estate so the Smithsonian could acquire it.

The "obscene amount of gold coins" Dave refers to are probably the hundreds of 1- and 4-Ducat restrikes embedded in the transparent acrylic walls that provide "ambiance" for this display. These coins seem to have been acquired in the 1969, when the spot gold price briefly dipped below the then-"official" price of $35/ounce. I guess each 4-ducat coin cost the Smithsonian about $15, each 1-ducat about $4.

I guess the public thinks they're just brass, but a numismatist instantly reccognizes that they are real. Their effect upon the educated collector is rather stunning, perhaps more impressive than the rather crowded collection of much more valuble gold coins contained within.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    Everybody has mentioned some of the good ones already.... The National Air and Space Museum being my favorite (I worked there one summer).

But here what I consider a hidden gem of Washington...

If you want a good aerial view of the entire city and beyond, don't wait for hours to get into the Washington Monument. Go to the Old Post Office Pavilion. It's the old Washington post office, but it's been since converted into a shopping and eating area. Nothing too cool there, but in the corner of the Pavilion is an elevator run by the National Park Service that will take you to the top of the tower. I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes to go up, and once you're at the top of the tower, you get a stunning view of Washington and beyond. Especially if it's not hazy (a problem in swampy Washington of the summer), you'll get a stunning view. It's at 1100 Pennsylvania avenue, near the Archives if I'm remembering correctly. Here is the site:

http://www.oldpostofficedc.com/location.html

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file