Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

What can we do about these DEADBEATS in our swaps?

It is so frustrating as it is now the third time for dealing with people who sign up for a swap or start one and then leave after they had gotten their package.

Read any of the swaps and there always seems to be some problem. My first time with a non response partner, the organizer Michael Dixon stepped in and offered to send me coins. Thats not fair to him and I turned him down, but it was typical Michael to offer to make things better.

Luski has been the same with offering to substitute for a swap gone bad. He should not have to do that, but he does.

Is it time to just allow Luski or Michael to run a swaps? We have had at least two started by others who have
bailed.

Do we set a minimum time on the forum before you can enter? Do you ask for references? I don't know except that swaps are a lot of fun and you get to meet some really nice people. Are they worth it if we seem to get those who use them for personal gain and then leave?

Comments

• well i have not been on here very long but i do not think you should punish all new members for the actions of a few . i joined a swap that ended march 29th and i have already put my coins in the mail to my swap partner the next day after he sent me his address and what he collects
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think theres really a "fair" way to handle the swaps without resorting to the ways Luskie and MichaelDixon have. But, Trout is right, you shouldn't punish all the new members because of a couple of deadbeats..............I like doing the swaps and luckily haven't been really burned yet........got a load of what looked to be foreign pocket change once, but it was a huge assortment of coins, so it wasn't all bad. I hope someone can come up with a good way to deal with them........
    imageimage

• i think pcgs ought to make all members provide their phone number in their profile when they sign up for the message boards then they can be tracked down alittle bit easier .
  • As with life you are required to take the good with the bad. I enter a swap giving/determining what to give based on what an individual indicates to me and then put myself in their shoes. Would I want? What would I want? and give based on these questions to myself. However, in life there are those that do those that cannot and those that will not. That is why we are human. Like I said I feel bad only because I have dealt with you twice Tade, and both occasions have been quite well. I offer also to send something, just PM if I have I will send.

Thanks all and for those of you that do that which has been done to TADE I wish you a clump of coal when you need a hand.

Jim
    Jim Chandler
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    I suggest whenever you are burned in a swap by a fellow board member 1) YOU SHOULD MAKE THE PERSON'S NICKNAME PUBLIC-POST IT EVERYWHERE 2) If someone pulls crap like that they should be barred from all future swaps until they make good on their pas faux pas!image
  • I've often come over from the US board to look at things and this swapping business looked a little too shaky for me.
    However, I saw a swap by a young guy in the Netherlands and I took a chance. Turned out just fine. I was extremely pleased with coins he sent and his shipping was fast. I hope he liked the US coins I sent. It all boils down to: "Are you willing to take a risk?" Sometimes you get lucky - sometimes you get burned. Just don't give up. Sort of like buy on EBay! Send the M/O and hope. image

My name's Alex and I live in Anchorage, Alaska. I collect Morgan Dollars and all types of half dollars. I don't trade them.
    I do have some other US coins - most of what I call "giveaways. PIM me and I'll always try to help out.
    Alex in Alaska
    Collecting Morgans in Any Grade
  • bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    I think the old saying goes KISS. Keep It Simple Son.

If you don't want to get burned in the swaps don't sign up for them. I have been burned a couple times. But over all it is a good experience.

IMHO.

Thanks for reading.
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I hope he liked the US coins I sent. >>

Offcourse I did!!!

Dennis
  • When you are asked over and over again for a $95 coin in a $50 swap, it ceases to be fun. Asked this gentleman no less than 5 times suggestions for coin(s) he'd prefer and each time the recepient wanted me to break a set of $5 PCGS PR69DCAM Eagles on each request and send him one or two, yes he wouldn't mind me sending him 2 $5 PCGS proof eagles I made trying to appease this unnamed person. When you have to deal with this situation for a few days I threw my hands in the Air!!!

The person that stepped in PM'ed and shared this gentleman's request of him, guess what he wanted $5 Gold Eagles. And the last time I was in touch with the new "partner" he was pulling his hair out. One person's persistant greed and attempt to take advantage of the swap and now caused someone else several headaches. It got to the point that he was telling me how old he was and that he needed the Gold Eagles for his wife when he passes on. Swaps are not Estate Builders, they're meant to be fun, not business.

I apologize to others, but this one person has two members rather upset. This gentleman can't expect the swaps to finance his wife's later years and needs to understand that the 3rd No, means No. It took me 5 No's before my blood pressure went off the charts. Tom Gilliams
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I dont know where this is being directed at, and seriously I am not happy I saw this post. I stopped trading last year when the board wicth hunt went after Louie (sorry to bring it up lou) but I just posted I want to be part of a swap, and I would Like to, But in no way do I want to be part of bullsht. So I suggest all involved or who want to be involved either ask someone they trust, or dont bother...

its sad it comes to that, but none of us are here to support black holes

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill