Home U.S. Coin Forum

Care to play "guess the grade" for a coin where the grade often doesn't matter as much as

coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
The CDN bid price for a PR63 is only 28.88% higher than for a PR60. And, a PR64 bids for only 10.34% more than a PR63. Lastly, a PR65 bids only 12.5% higher than a PR64. The spreads for a common date example are considerably higher!

This one is hopefully tricky!image

Comments

• barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    Looks like you fooled everyone Mark!!!image, [including me.]

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    PF-50+
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Looks too flat to be 60+, like the toning has worn off and is only in the cracks. I'll say PR55.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Rare, but not nice...a 53...image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    PR 60!
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    63?
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    It looks funny to me, but I will still go with PR-62 as it does not appear to have wear to me.

Tom
    Tom

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a dipped and retoned Pf-55

I dont care for the looks to be honest.

An expensive coin, but not at all rare. You could probably locate at least 5 specimens availble for sale on the market with in a week or two.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I'm not seeing any wear, unless there is a very slight rub on liberty's cheek. So I'll have to go with a PF61.
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PR61

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    pr-55

K S
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do see some wear, I'd say Proof 58 .

Marc
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough one. I am not sure. I am not sure I see any wear at all. I can't get a feel for the surface condition.

Superficially it looks cleaned but the nice rim toning throws that theory out for me.

I have to pass on guessing.

I always have trouble grading proofs from a scan or pics . Much harder than mint state coins!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • pr64
    Michael
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    umm what ever happenned to this thread?image

Marc
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    OK, I'm posting before reading the responses, so if you've already commented Mark, I'll happily risk exposing my ignorance with a difficult coin to understand based on the pics. I see NO remnant of luster, although it's a heavily toned impaired proof that looks like it has been dipped heavily and all the toning didn't dip off. I see no obvious evidence of wear, and only a few hairlines in the fields. I'd guess it would be valued/holdered as a PR63, although I suspect technically the lack of luster COULD hurt it considerably more.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file