Home Q & A Forum
Options

What are some of the coolest coins ever submitted to PCGS?

In your career in numismatics, I imagine you've seen most every rarity in every series at one time or other - but aside from the 'typical' major rarities like the 1804 Dollars and 1913 Liberty head Nickels, has anything shown up that was totally unexpected? Condition rarities you never knew existed? What are the coolest coins ever to come across your desk?

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    There have been so many great coins at PCGS. I have a story from the early days that illustrates the point. Before PCGS came along in 1986 I had never seen a 1918/7-S quarter that I considered Mint State. In 15 or so years of looking I thought they all had a little rub. After PCGS had been going for two years we had not only graded Mint State examples of this classic rarity, we had graded one MS65 and two MS66s...three Gems!

PCGS is like a funnel that all the nice coins come thru. It's great to sit in the grading and just look at the coins. There have been so many...the Childs 1804 dollar, the time we went to Sotheby's office in Beverly Hills and examined the 1933 $20, all the Eliasberg coins, the Naftzger large cents, and on and on.

Being involved with PCGS is a numismatists dream come true.

David