Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Baseball ROY's

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a new set on the Registry...Baseball's ROY rookie set.

It is located 'Key Card Set' and then Rookie of the Year...

Also I am curious to whether this is a set that interest anyone else besides myself...

andrewlaw

Comments

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    That's one I've always thought of doing. I prefer a MVP or Cy Young set, but it should be fun. Sets like this are a great way to introduce some variety to your collection, both in players and sets. Along with Jackie Robinson, Tom Seaver and Derek Jeter, you've got Jack Sanford, Butch Metzger (forgot about him) and Bob Hamelin. It gets pretty messed up in the 90s-00s. Both 1996 winners have cards at least 1 year earlier. You need a scorecard to keep track of who won in which year. And wouldn't you know they'd pick the toughest, most ridiculously expensive cards for Ichiro and Pujols. The Pujols is about $1200 for a 9, and the Ichiro is about $600 last I checked. They couldn't use just plain Topps?

I think I'll go ahead and register a set. I've actually got one card already, and if anyone can help, I've been looking for another one for some time (check my signature).
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    helionaut,

I agree with you about this preference for difficult, expensive issues. I toyed with the idea of suggesting a "Topps Debut" set for Hall-of-Famers (would work with Rookies-of-the-Year, too). The criterion would be the first regular-issue Topps card on which the player appeared on his own. No multi-rookie cards, no traded, no chrome, no tiffany, no nuttin. There is some overlap with the present Post-War HOF Rookies set, but as players make their debuts on increasingly diverse and obscure issues, I like the constancy of boring-old-reliable-year-in-year-out Topps.
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have been doin such sets for years. I use the following years card though cuz in that way it shows the stats and at times mentions the award. I go back to 47 for the ROY (i use the 49 bowman Robby) the other sets MVP, CY Young I go back to 61 for the AL and 62 for the NL. what is nice about doing this is that you see how the topps cards have changed over the years. I use mainly topps but in the cases where a player does not have a topps card i'll use fleer (Wills) or whatever I find. Maybe one day I will have them graded as most are near mint or better.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I am the one that chose the Pujols and Ichrio card to be part of the set. I am not that familar with modern cards so I just picked the most expensive regular issued, non insert card...Was this a mistake??? Should I have picked a more common issued card?

I hope that this set will garner some interest, so any thoughts/suggestions is welcomed...

Regards,

andrewlaw
  • Options
    I don't know how the Registry software works, but from 1992-up, almost every player has at least a couple RCs, with most from the last few years having dozens. I'd like to have it so that any 2001 Pujols or Ichiro card would fit, maybe with different weighting for some. The Ichiro SPx would not have the same weight as a Vintage. But I don't know if that's feasible, or even possible, within the registry system. My main gripe is the expense of the cards chosen, which is my favorite gripe for most things. It's not that I'd mind so much spending $1200 on a nice card of Campanella or someone like that, but $1200 for a guy in the league 3 years, even though he's done extremely well, he could easily go the way of Griffey, Thomas, etc.

For Pujols I'd pick maybe something like SP Authentic, tough and expensive but with no autograph so they're still within reach. Or basic Upper Deck for a cheaper alternative, but still a nice looking card. For Ichiro I'd go with Bowman Chrome, or my favorite of his cards, Fleer Focus, just because it has a photo that does a great job capturing his image.

Or going the other way, they both have cards in the 2001 UD Ultimate set #/250, and the Ichiro is auto'd. That's probably his most expensive non-parallel RC.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Time to update this set. Bobby Crosby won it in the AL, and Jason Bay in the NL. Crosby's best choice for a registry card is 2002 Bowman Chrome. Jason Bay has a much greater selection. He's in 02 Bowman Chrome, too, but I'd suggest Topps Heritage, just to be different. Interestingly, he was traded around so much that he might have tied the record for most different uniforms shown on cards in one year (3, AFAIK). In 2002 sets, he's shown on the Expos (Topps Heritage), New York Mets (Bowman Heritage), San Diego Padres (Topps Traded with the same photo as Topps but retouched with a new uni). But he's now with the Pirates.
    WANTED:

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Bobby Crosby, wouldn't his 2001 Bowman Draft Picks #BDP88 be the only choice, not any of the 2002 issues, to remain consistent with the rest of the set...like the Valenzuela, Coleman, Gooden and Garciaparra...

Jason Bay, you are correct there is a lot of options. The Bowman Chrome is probably the most attractive non-auto rookie from a price standpoint. The Topps Hertiage is different, and I like the idea of mixing it up a little.

Anyone else have any experience in picking 1 modern rookie card to add to a key set??? What criteria do you use... price, rareness, popular issue?

ROY Set Registry
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Geeze.....what Jerome Walton/Pat Listach card would you pick?.............
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    You're right. I thought Crosby's only 2001 card was the UD Premier Prospects stuff. So the 2001 Bowman Update is the choice there.
    WANTED:

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Anderw,

Very cool set indeed, I think alot of folks will participate in it!

Toss me an email at GATOR05@CHARTER.NET I have something you've been asking about for over a year nowimage

Thanks, Matt