Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thomas Jefferson Coin

Does anyone out there know much about this medal? Other than to commemerate Thomas Jefferson? I'm looking to create a short blurb about it for my website and would appriciate any feedback anyone may have.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

J. Taylor
CONECA Member
FSNC Member

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't help much but can ttt it.

I believe this is from the Franklin Mint "Postmasters of America" series circa 1970 or so.
    It does have the FM mint mark, of course.

Perhaps MrEureka can provide more info.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ttt
    Regards,

J. Taylor
    CONECA Member
    FSNC Member

• Options
    ttt - last time I promise.
    Regards,

J. Taylor
    CONECA Member
    FSNC Member

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Ive seen this more than once, and for the life of me can't remember where. Ill go thru my jefferson mags to see if I can come up with it for ya.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Jason, I personally do not have any info on this "coin" but would like to say that I find the relief of Jefferson to be considerably more desirable then the present left-facing one on the present nickels.

I suppose it would actually take an act of congress to use this design instead of the one now used. but I think it would enhance the obverse considerably were they to do so.

David
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This medal is from the Franklin Mint Presidential series. Sculptor was Hal Faulkner. The series was first issued, in 1967, in 32mm and 39mm versions. These versions don't have the word "STERLING" on the reverse. In 1970 the American Express Company promoted another issue of the 39mm version, this time with the word "STERLING" on the reverse. The American Express version was issued in huge numbers (60,709).
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    THANK YOU! I appriciate your information on this coin. I am working on a web page which will eventually include all know coins, medals, and tokens that commerate Thomas Jefferson in one way or another. Please take a look at it and let me know if there is any other information you may be able to provide for the medals listed with no descriptions.

LINK
    Regards,

J. Taylor
    CONECA Member
    FSNC Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file