Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should E Pluribus Unum be removed from our coins?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
Think about it. It means From Many One. We seem to be a divided country, so should it go?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think about it. It means From Many One. We seem to be a divided country, so should it go?

Yes. We should also melt all of our Peace dollar because we are at war.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    WHY should it be removed?

We are NOT divided. We ALL have the same goals which is Liberty and Security.

The liberals are trying to divide us with nonsense. The Libs tell us anything that will get us to give them back the White House.

The Libs are running a smear campaign to regain power because they have no real platform, no real solutions. Therefore, they remind us only of the problems.

We arent divided, but there are many that would love to see it.
    GottaGetCoins

Currently attempting the 12 Coin US Gold Type Set and the 20th Century US Major Coin Type Set. Completed a Franklin Half Proof Set.
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    Eliminating "E Pluribus Unum" and a few other requirements (Un God We Trust" or the obligatory reverse eagle) might lead to less cluttered and more creative designs.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The motto is Latin but it is a uniquely American phrase which has a place on coins
    and currency. It serves to remind us that despite political differences that we are
    all still Americans. It also serves to remind us that this is a republic and a collection
    of states when there is so little else sometimes to remind us.

Just like any of the mottos and legends it should be able to be omitted on individual
    coins for artistic reasons but generally this and "liberty" should be the last to go.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

God would be angry if we did

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Where's the hatred?

Mention taking "In God We Trust" from the coins, and the hatred flies. Mention taking a mundane statement off the coins, and very little responce.

I must have proved the point.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Yes. We should also melt all of our Peace dollar because we are at war."

Good answer.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    There is a big difference between unity and uniformity.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what % of the country even knows what it means.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    I wonder what % of the country even knows what it means.

At least E Pluribus Unum HAS a precise meaning. The same cannot be said of IGWT. In another thread, I asked the following questions about the motto IGWT, none of which anyone cared to answer.

1. Which (i.e., whose) "God" are we talking about?

2. Does the "We" in "In God We Trust" include everyone in the USA? If not, who is "We"?

3. For what exactly are "We" trusting "God"? Protection? Prosperity? Currency Stability? Redemption? Something else?

Not that I want to hijack this thread, but I'd still love to hear some answers to my questions.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1. Which (i.e., whose) "God" are we talking about? >>

The King of Kings, the Lord of Lords, the Alpha & the Omega, the Wonderful Councillor, the Father of everlasting Peace, the great I Am, the Ancient of Days, the First and the Last, the One whom makes all things new, the Saviour, the Creator, YHWH, the Allmighty Triune Godhead, the Most High, theAuthor of Creation, the Holy of Holyies, found in the Bible...

<< <i>2. Does the "We" in "In God We Trust" include everyone in the USA? If not, who is "We"? >>

Me and my Household!

<< <i>. For what exactly are "We" trusting "God"? Protection? Prosperity? Currency Stability? Redemption? Something else? >>

In every wonderful promise He had made in His holy word!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file