Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which coin has been counterfeited the most/

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
do you own any counterfeit ones, which ones? Also can anyone posts pictures of some counterfeit coins so we all can learn from them?

Comments

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    I don't own any. Some of the most common are gold coins.

A great source for learning about identifying counterfeits is the PCGS grading and counterfeit detection guide, the 2nd edition of which I believe is cominig out in March, 2004. The ANA also has excellent publications on this topic, but I think the same info is in the PCGS book.

edited to add: By date it is the 1909-S V.D.B. cent and 1916-D dime, but I also be including alterted dates/added mint marks. As a group, as I mentioned above, it is gold. If you learn what to look for, and look at raw gold, you'll find it.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    KK
    The 1909-S VDB has to be the most counterfeited U.S. Coin. flying56eagle has a collection of conterfeit pics.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    16-D Merc., 93-S $1
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think modern coins would be the most listening to those you sell them. image Gold coins are the most, if I go by what my dealer gets back from the grading services. He has quite the collection in his counterfeit collection.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    the way I understand it no cent V nickel was dipped in gold and past off as a five dollar gold peace alot.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    doesnt the 1804 dollar counterfeit list reach into the thousands and thousands? As well as 1943 copper cent.
  • Options
    $2.50 and $5.00 Gold!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

There were a LOT of gold Indians coming out of Lebanon that were counterfeit.

A lot of counterfeit gold coins were actually made out of gold, back from the days when gold was illegal to own, but gold coins for collectors were exempt people would make their own coins and not turn it over to the government.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I'd vote 16-D Merc, but it is just a guess.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file