Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My First Proof Seated Quarter 1891 PCGS PR61

1 of 600 minted. Don't know much about these so thought this would be a good start. Love to hear any comments, info or suggestions. Investment or novalty? Please be honest. Thanks, Walt

Ebay item #2227842009

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Seated coins are uber cool! Your picture is really too small to see anything, though.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PR61 is a grade to stay away from. Not a popular grade.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    What the 5th said. It's a little better than... ..... ?
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bah humbug, 291!

Yah, a PR61 is apt to be hairlined, but for a rare coin it's not too bad, at least it's not AU!

and at least it's in the "right" slab

I agree with Tom tho, let's see some better pics!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I will have to scan when I receive it but you can see it still on ebay which is a little better than anything I can figure out how to post. Thanks for the imput.
    Ebay number is 2227842009.

If nothing else I got a great early peice of histroy with a little bit of quality.
  • Options
    Yes it has some hairlines, it 61 not 65.

Thanks for buying the coin, here's a little history. Some guy bought it raw on ebay for $585 in 2001 and sent it to PCGS. he expected a 63 and it came back 62., I bought it from him with 2 others and I thought it would 63 so I sent it in and it came back 61. I stuck it in the vault for 3 years and now I put it on ebay.

It has real deep mirrors and is a nice coin for the money. No its not a 65 but its not $4000 either. Its a solid unimpaired proof.

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner
  • Options
    coynclecter.......Thanks you for the coin. I am the buyer. I look forward to seeing it. Walt
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    how on earth can anyone come on here and have the stones to "knock" a coin like that for $300 or imply that it is junk????

sometimes some of the posts on here amaze me.

Great coin. Post some pics when you get it.!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i totally agree with goose 3

and for me i might add it is a good coin at a fair price and actually a value coin with the look and eye appeal of a higher grade

for me it is a choice proof coin

with good eye appeal

michael
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Also, if several collectors who knew enough to send it to PCGS thought it was a PR-63, it can't be too ugly of a coin. For that price, how could you possibly go wrong?

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    exactly.

I'm just sorry I didn't see it too, or there might have been a bit of a snipe going on image

nice coin

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may very well be a choice coin for the grade. And a good value at that price. But it's darn impossible to tell from these pictures. I would have to say that the odds are against it though. PR61s tend to be hairlined way too much, which can be OK but only if the coin is nicely toned.

• Options
    I really appreciate all of the imput you have given me. I am really new to this Forum as well, this is the first chat room I have attended. Please excuse my lack of lengthly conversation, I just sometimes don't know what to say or admittenly don't understand what has been said (with out a little research first). Thanks again and if I am doing something wrong, tap me on the shoulder. Thannks all who have once again contributed to my ongoing knowledge of coins. Any links or site about this coin or the series would also be welcomed.

Walt (nemesis93457)
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nemesis-

There is nothing wrong with such purchases to get your feet wet. It's a PCGS coin so you have a good level of protection. However, before you buy any more proof quarters, I recommend you go to a big show and look at as many of them as you can. Bring your own for comparison. Try to understand why one is 65 and another 63 and another is 61, before you make further purchases.
  • Options
    Will do Coinosaurus.................(Great name by the way)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file