Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here's an eBay auction stman will appreciate

I had a 1 cent open No Reserve auction. It's about a $275 coin so I listed the S/H as $4.50 plus $4.50 insurnace for a total of $9.00

It sold for $218, plus $9 S/H/I. Then the buyer asks:

Hi,
I live in Orange County and it is not far from San Diego. I also bought coin from you one in a while. Please let me know if you can help me with shipping cost, I don't need priority mail. Thank you.

So I reply...

Hi,

In addition to postal insurance, I normall charge $4.50 S/H to cover postage,padded packing and the 10-15 minutes I spend on an auction.

To insure this coin for $218 costs $4.20 plus 1st class postage is $.60 for a total of $4.80

And after the listing fees my costs are pretty high:

$ 6.63 eBay Final Fee
$ 6.90 PayPal Fee
$ 0.18 padded envelope
$ 0.60 Postage
$ 4.20 Postal Insurance
======
$18.51 expenses

Anyway if you can save me the $6.90 PayPal fee and pay by check or money order I can ship to you by insured 1st class for $5 (total of $223.50)

Please send check (held 7 days) or Money order for $223.50 to ...

Thanks

5 minutes later he sends me a PayPal payment. At least he included the S/H/I

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    nine bucks for shipping????

do you wear a bandanna around your face like the old time cowboy outlaws?????
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Yep. 9 big ones. But remember I have to bet the post office $4.20 that they are going to lose the coin, plus postage so I'm only ripping them off for $4.20.

since 8/1/6
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    heh heh....

do I save on shipping if I pick it up in person???
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First class postage on a coin should cost no more than $1.75 and that includes a nice padded envelope in which to ship it. You can get a 10 pack of pretty nice ones at Staples for around $5. I spose you want paid for the wear and tear on your keyboard too. So $6.25 max for shipping would be about right.
  • Options
    I thought you weren't supposed to extract your listing costs via s/h/i charges?

$9 sounds like a rip-off to me. I've dealt with many sellers, and they've all somehow managed to get me my coin(s) packaged nicely and insured for a lot less.

Still, I think you should charge whatever you want. If people don't want to bid, nobody's forcing themimage
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Hey, that's a bargain. I just had some guy charge me $25.20 to ship three Morgans that totaled $280.

You could have told him if he wanted to save the shipping cost, to make the 80-100 mile trip and meet you at the post office.
  • Options
    I'll bet all these wanna-be dealers and big business people on ebay are too cheap to supply the grease as well. They won't need it for me though, as I won't give them the chance.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $9 for a coin mailing is a RIPOFF....whether or not the buyer "agreed" to it by bidding, that is a slimy way to get your money.
    You aren't supposed to hide the ebay/paypal fees in your s&h.

I just bid, and won, on a forum members coins (2 Ike blue packs) and agreed to $4.85 in s&h, but, that to me, is still high. I am hoping for pretty nice coins coming for that image

I have only sold 2 items on ebay and I put my S&H up front and based it on what I would actually pay (also included insurance in that cost and that was stated).

I guess I could have slimed people and charged more, but I don't like that as a buyer. Oh yeah...I took a $5 loss on 1 item I sold, and lost about $0.20 overall on s&h&i combining the 2 together (one sold for less than I thought so it was a step down on the insurance scale). And, that was before the ebay fees.

My thought on it, you either put a reserve on the item you are selling or you take your chances....to whine about it and charge higher than cost s/h is not cool.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    For what it's worth, I would charge $7 s/h/i on a coin of that price. And as you know Ron, I use boxes, and they aren't cheap.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    stman will appreciate this one more. I got this after one of my auctions just closed a while ago:

<<<I sure appreciate the free shipping. However I would prefer that the shipment be insured. Please give me a quote if the insurance is extra and I will then add it to the price and process thru PayPal with my credit card. Thank you. Sincerely, ******>>>
    I sent him back an email:
    <<<Mr. *****,
    I appreciate your concern. FREE SHIPPING includes insurance. Your winning
    bid amount is all you owe.
    Thank you & regards, Dog97>>>

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Dog, and he's using a CC through PP to boot? Man, you're gonna go broke. You will be riding around on your rims because the tires are worn out. Go hungry from no snack on the way. And the new one is 15 minutes to list the thing. I still think they shouldn't expose their product to the world via internet.... and wait for the doorbell to ring. image Or..... they don't have a clue about business and think you don't have to invest time and money to make money. Or..... I could care less what they do and get a kick out of replying to their cries.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Come on kids. This is a blantant ripoff. And all it receives is just a couple of whinny posts.

Where is the outrage???

since 8/1/6
  • Options
    <<<Dog, and he's using a CC through PP to boot?>>>
    stman unlike most complainers, I signed up for PayPal JUST SO THAT I COULD TAKE CREDIT CARDS.
    Oh yeah the $9 shipping; man that's nothing but a blantant ripoff. I'm so outraged. relayer you are a bad bad powerseller.
  • Options
    Oh he's a power seller? OK I understand this means big business. I know he must be a fine and upstanding business person and communicator then. I better retract what I said because I might get blocked from all the power sellers. It's a loop you know.image
  • Options
    Which is it, Power Seller or Power Screwer?
  • Options
    click click click That's all the powersellers adding stman to their blocked bidder list. stman will never be able to buy anything on eBay ever again. See what you done did?
    edited to add K6AZ too.
  • Options
    Hehe.... you know how often I buy on ebay Dog. Besides, if I'm gonna get screwed I'd rather happen at a show where I can see the look on their face when they do it.image I think they supply grease too.
  • Options
    That's why they have mirrors on the wall behind their tables, so you can watch yourself getting screwed.
  • Options
    You think? Got them up at the ranch too.
  • Options
    Oh btw Relayer.... I feel pretty "Special" Having a thread dedicated with my name on it. Glad you think so much of me.
  • Options

<< <i>I feel pretty "Special" Having a thread dedicated with my name on it >>

Well I knew it would shake you up, but I didn't think you'd get so excited about it. image

Just wanted to give you an opportunity to whine, because, well you're special.
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    stman you ever deal with a coin dealer that had mirrors on the ceiling? image
  • Options

<< <i>I had a 1 cent open No Reserve auction. It's about a $275 coin so I listed the S/H as $4.50 plus $4.50 insurnace for a total of $9.00

It sold for $218, plus $9 S/H/I. Then the buyer asks:

Hi,
    I live in Orange County and it is not far from San Diego. I also bought coin from you one in a while. Please let me know if you can help me with shipping cost, I don't need priority mail. Thank you.

So I reply...

Hi,

In addition to postal insurance, I normall charge $4.50 S/H to cover postage,padded packing and the 10-15 minutes I spend on an auction.

To insure this coin for $218 costs $4.20 plus 1st class postage is $.60 for a total of $4.80

And after the listing fees my costs are pretty high:

$ 6.63 eBay Final Fee
    $ 6.90 PayPal Fee
    $ 0.18 padded envelope
    $ 0.60 Postage
    $ 4.20 Postal Insurance
    ======
    $18.51 expenses

Anyway if you can save me the $6.90 PayPal fee and pay by check or money order I can ship to you by insured 1st class for $5 (total of $223.50)

Please send check (held 7 days) or Money order for $223.50 to ...

Thanks

5 minutes later he sends me a PayPal payment. At least he included the S/H/I >>

I would think all your posts whining about all your costs involved to sell your stuff on ebay would qualify more for whining. If it were me I would quit whining and find some other scam... ooops I mean another way to make money. But that's just me though.

Signed.... self employed. PS...I do have plenty of costs.... but I'm not stupid enough to tell the customers I'm passing these costs on to them.image
  • Options

Well glad to hear you're employed. Good for you.

But you're confused. These aren't customers to me. They're marks. image
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i>But you're confused. These aren't customers to me. They're marks. >>

LMAO.... hey finally we can communicate. I agree with you. I just like to be a bit more discrete with my customers ( I mean marks) and let them think they're shanking me. As I laugh all the way to the bank.

Is the Customer ( Mark) always right? Heck no.... I just let them think they are. Thanks for the fun and the good business ethics thread.
  • Options
    They're more like a bunch of cute little fuzzy sheep being lead to slaughter. Poor sheepeople @ the mercy of a ruthless powerseller.
  • Options
    Watch out there relayer, you are surrounded by the grump squad. image
  • Options
    I'm in a good mood. Isn't it obvious?
  • Options

<< <i>I'm in a good mood. Isn't it obvious? >>

I'm always in a good mood, except when somebody pi$$es me off, which is almost all the time. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm in a good mood. Isn't it obvious? >>

I'm always in a good mood, except when somebody pi$$es me off, which is almost all the time. image >>

I couldn't have said it better myself. They make me this way I tell ya.
  • Options
    Notice the tightwad demanding buyer asked relayer to break the TOS and tried to renegoiate the contract for cheaper shipping. What nerve!
    relayer told him he should go wait in line @ the Post Office for an hour or 2 & pay 90¢ for a money order so that relayer could pocket another $7 by not having to pay PayPal fees.
    relayer can "self insure" and put another $4.20 in his pocket for a total of $12.10 extra in his pocket, & total expenses of $6 instead of almost $20.
    I think relayer is the victim here.

• Options
    Yes Dog, I forgot about these sellers are getting in the self proclaimed insurance business now and "self insuring." I guess some will do anything not to have to work for their money huh? Ooops I forgot all the work they have involved. Now because they have a surgery for Carpal Tunnel of the wrist.... they will start charging saying we have to pay for their wrist aching from typing. I concede, they do have a rough life.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    9 bucks sounds reasonable 2 me.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file