Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many unopened proof sets do you think

are really unopened? I see tons of these on eBay, all claiming RARE and UNOPENED, with the lure of possibly finding those special varieties or errors. I mean, if I had a plethora of these, I would open every one in hopes of finding a 3k plus coin. If I didn't find anything, I could still sell them as whole sets. I have to wonder if they're really unopened or steemed open, searched, then resealed. Or, do I appear to have little faith in the wholesome honesty that envelopes the intire eBay community? Certainly they're not in it just for the money, right? image

Craig
The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.

Comments

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken
  • Options
    Maybe one by accident.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    On ebay, I have no idea. If bought a few '51-'54 proof sets a few weeks ago, and most were unopened. I bought them from someone that had originally bought them from the mint. Therefore, I know some exist unopened.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    For the 1964 sets, something with which I have a little bit of experience, I'd guess about 10% are actually unopened since they came from the mint. The other 90% have had the contents checked and been resealed either in original or reprinted envelopes.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Most of the nice stuff comes in open sets anyway! Just ask Russ!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost all have been opened. Many were only very lightly sealed to begin with. Many more have been put into replacement envelopes that are identical to the originals.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Most of the nice stuff comes in open sets anyway!

Marty is so good, he can find nice stuff in the junk box.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of the nice stuff comes in open sets anyway! Just ask Russ!!! >>

Marty is absolutely correct. All my best scores have come from open sets with an image. For example, the twins:

Came from these sets that showed up on eBay:

This coin:

Came from this set that showed up on eBay:

Just look for sellers who don't realize what they have. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    There was a guy at a local show yesterday, overheard him talking with a dealer, that he had bought a box of "100 unopened 1960 Small Date Proof Sets"... well, of course, you couldn't know that they were Small Dates, unless you opened them up... hahaha... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    box of "100 unopened 1960 Small Date Proof Sets"

That's a good oneimage
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I have been buying some 'unopened' sets on EBay. For a few of the sets, I have definite doubts about their virginity. It seems to be seller dependent. Webbulator seems to have sets that for all purposes seem to be untouched. I've bought and sampled sets from 1952-1964. There have been some finds and some duds.

I bought a large number of 1961 sets and kept them in order as I opened them. It may be my imagination, but it seems that you could tell when die maintenance was done. The quality would pick up and then taper off. The findings have been mixed. I have been keeping track of the $ spends, but don't have enough coins back from grading to publish the net results.

It is like a $300 lottery ticket with the drawing a month away.

I may be naive, but many sets appear to be unsearched.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    When I started bidding on "unopened" 1855-63 proof sets on eBay, a friend emailed me saying that I would have better luck finding Cameo Proof Franklins with a metal detector on a a beach than I would have with such auctions on eBay.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    Assuming the sets are trully unopened, what is the premium, say for '50-64?
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    This week's sets are going for about:

1952 $600-605
    1953 $380-450
    1954 $220-240
    1956 $60-70
    1960 $25
    1961 $16
    1963 $15

The chances of cameos are better with the dates that are cheaper. However, the frequency of cameos for later dates is driving down the prices. There must be an optimum somewhere. The prices for 1952 seem high. It is almost needing a good hit every time to break even.

I still wouldn't rule out just buying sight seen.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ and MadMarty have it about right. Most of these have been checked whether
    they're sealed or not, but cherrypicking works both ways. Containing gems may protect
    a set from destruction or get it set aside but these too, get sold eventually. A collector
    might have picked up a set or two back in the '60's because a cameo caught his eye. Such
    sets eventually find their way back on the market and many collectors and dealers do not
    set them aside. There have been a few times, in fact, that I've run into dozens of sets
    there appear to have been cherry picked from a very large number of sets.

There are probably no faked mailing envelopes so look forthese still sealed and watch for
    any nice fresh sets.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    We easily buy at least over a 1000's legit unopened sets a year, very common to see them from 1959-1964 mint sealed. Im sure their are 100's of thousands more still sitting in boxes unopened.
    These years were hoarded by speculators in the 60's in large quantity, along with canadia p/l sets and bankwrapped rolls..
    I beleive it is safe to presume that most all are original mint sealed, particulay when you see large lots of them.

Regards to all.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Unopened just means they are currently not open.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    One time I seen a guy on Sleezbay offering a (forgot the date) unopened proof set and he showed a picture of the inside of it image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file