Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Auburn, MA coin show - a report

roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
Business was brisk land the aisles were crowded at Auburn today.
Things were selling. One dealer was on the prowl for 30 or more MS65 and MS66 Morgans. I can sense a move afoot on these. Still feel they'll run to $125 easy.

I sold a very PQ++ NGC MS64 $20 1904 Lib for $1550 that I had tried once for an upgrade at NGC. It came out of an old PCGS 64 holder. I cracked out 1 other average PCGS MS64 and a PQ MS63+ to send along with it to help ensure an upgrade. Imagine my surprise when the 63+ went NGC64 and the other 2 coins went 63!! talk about a double hit. On resubmit the nicer one went 64 and I sold it for PQ+ money (my cost) just to be done with it. Still a good chance that someone will upgrade that coin to 65 and make $2500. The look was killer with a coppery ring surrounding bold yellow gold centers.

Also sold a couple of type coins for around CDN bid to 20% over.
A nice orig pair of 1917 T1 FH NGC 64 quarters went for $545 each.
I suspect one of those will upgrade down the road. But I am getting tired of playing that game. Sold a decent PCGS63 1854 25c at bid
(old holdered coin) that I made $50 on. I guess I'm continuing to weed out lower performers and looking to sit on the bluer chips as I find them.

Purchased a nice PCGS MS64 1832 bust dime from Jon at RCNH. This was his 2nd appearance at the Auburn show. I may have paid a bit too much (18% over bid) but finding these orig with nice luster and surfaces is tough. A bust half is 3x as common and sells for the same money. I like the value in the bust dimes...esp when they are really unc with full luster! Thanks Jon. I'll have this one for a while.

Also purchased 3 NGC 63 common saints at $525 each. I hope they don't drop any more but I think they'll stabilize shortly.

As usual proof sets, mint sets, common classic commems, circ better dates were selling very strong. The modern commems in gold and silver both sold well.

Lots of activity and there no signs of any slowdown here.

roadrunner
Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also purchased 3 NGC 63 common saints at $525 each

I think that is a good move. I just sold an MS63 on ebay for about $600.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update!
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Roadrunner,

Thanks for the report. I have not been able to make that show in awhile, but do intend to get there soon. I'll look you up when I get back there. I talked with a few people that did attend the show and they said the same thing about the crowds. They just did not know if there were tire kickers or actual buying going on. You have confirmed that buying was still in vouge.

TD
  • Options
    Toned Dollars,

Richard M. had a 1881-s MS65PL toner dollar for you to appraise.
    He put it away back around 1990. Very neat color 1/2 rings on the obverse and very flashy. A 65+ coin that could easily be a 66. Was hoping you could give him an idea on how much the toner was worth. See you at the next show I hope....though as it turns out
    Willimantic and Auburn are on the same day. Can only be in one place at a time though.

roadrunner
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Roadrunner,

Will he be at the baystate show??
  • Options
    TD, you'll see Richard next at the March Auburn show. I'm sure he'll bring it again. Richard is not a big fan of the Bay State show. Was a great show in its heyday though.

roadrunner
  • Options
    What's wrong with the Baystate show? I havn't been for a couple years and was thinking of going... any opinions?

• Options
    Baystate is still a solid show. But much of the activity occurs on Thursday night and Friday. It seems to fade away by Sat/Sunday. Parking can be an issue on the weekend. Last time I went I got a parking ticket as the hotel parking was full as were the local lots and garages. If you live within an hour I'd go. But I have a 2 hour drive. This show used to be one of the biggies in the 1973-1990 era and that's something I miss. It's a good regional show but it used to be almost on the national level in the past.

roadrunner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file