Home U.S. Coin Forum

Time for me to eat some humble pie- I was wrong...

months ago when a certain thread was started about "Who is the most under rated grading service?" I have since come to my senses! Everybody-all you dealers and most collectors- to a man cast your votes for ANACS...NOT ME...I had never owned an ANACS coin and I went against the grain actually believing what I said that day to be true!

I am posting this publicly for being wrong in what I said and the way I said it. All of you are correct-ANACS is the most under-rated and I hereby apologize for the stir I created. Maybe I should have done a better job listening.

I was always taught to stand up for what I believe in.....just the same as I was taught to be man enough to apologize when I am wrong. Obviously , having had good fortune picking out a few nice "Cherries" I believed what I said or I certainly wouldn't have taken the stand I did. I now have some ANACS products whereas before I did not and can see that all of you were right and I had just been lucky! Sorry fellas

Comments

• merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Boom
    There are good and bad coins in "all holders".ANACS is as good as PCGS or NGC in their own way.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Boom, i for one, and am only speaking for myself here.....Respect your opinions, trust your instincts, and read your posts with a desire to learn..... I may not always agree, but you do make me think with an open mind... and for that...I thank you!!!!!!

AND...for what it's worth....I respect a man that stands up for what he believes, wheather i agree with him or not!!!!!!image
  • Boom,

I cracked out a '41 proof Washington from a PCI PR65 holder and PCGS gave it a PR66. There's always their mistakes in the other direction, though not as often! Ya just never know! image

Put some sugar on that pie, Bud. You're A-okay! image

Don
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boom:

Your question really can only be answered on a coin by coin basis. ANACS, PCGS and NGC all have their good points. Without a doubt the early PCI holders are worth looking for. ANACS has had their inconsistent moments and ANACS coins can be woth looking for too. I guess the moral of the story is not to dismiss a coin based upon the plastic... look at it first because you just may be pleasantly surprised.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• << <i>Boom:

Your question really can only be answered on a coin by coin basis. ANACS, PCGS and NGC all have their good points. Without a doubt the early PCI holders are worth looking for. ANACS has had their inconsistent moments and ANACS coins can be woth looking for too. I guess the moral of the story is not to dismiss a coin based upon the plastic... look at it first because you just may be pleasantly surprised. >>

Very well said!!!!!!!image
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    THAT has ALWAYS been my position, all along! Buy the coin and NOT the plastic! Everybody makes mistakes in grading...even our esteemed graders here at PCGS ...and it's no small wonder with all the workload, stress and strain they're under day after day after endless day....and they never can catch up!
  • At least you are "boom" enough to admit it.......
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I didn't catch the original thread, but I have had good luck crossing ANACS Morgans over to PCGS. The best one I think is an 1881-CC that I bought on eBay four years ago in an ANACS MS64 holder for $225. I busted it out and submitted it raw to PCGS - it came back as a MS64. You can find nice coins in ANACS and ICG holders from AU - MS64. I have found them to be a bit generous with MS65 and above though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file