Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT - Scanner help needed

Just bought a scanner today to scan in a few old books/articles (the camera takes care of the coins). I'd like to scan in some articles from the local coin mags since there are a few of you out there that might be interested in this stuff. Problem is, I don't know much about Adobe Acrobat.

I've got the full version so I can make my own stuff, no problem. But when scanning things the files come out huuuge! (moreso than usual) I scanned the five pages of dealer listings in this month's MünzenRevue and it came to 14MB as a PDF!! (14.2 million individual images therein!)

Is there anyway within Acrobat to condense the file size?! That's just ridiculous, 14MB.. obscene even. I could probably scan the images and text separately and put them together in Word or Dreamweaver (the scanner has decent OCR software) to save some space, but I don't wanna kill 10 minutes per page.

Anyone have some tips?

[ In case you're daring enough to download the dealer list file, click here. (Might want to open it in the background, minimized, or save it in the background.. or grab a cup of coffee image. Zoom to 200% to read. Ask for any translations.) It has most of the big guys in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and a few other places. The list in Münzen & Papiergeld has a few more German listings and a more detailed description of stock categories, but no foreign guys. ]

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Spoon,

Sounds like the resolution was set at more than 100%. You should be able to open the scan and go to the properties tab and change the resolution. HTH,

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    My scanner has a setting for resolution also - DPI setting - the lower the DPI, the smaller the file will be. I find that text scans perfectly at the lowest rating and creates a minimal file.
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'