Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone familiar with "Library of Coins" albums?

Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
The copyright is 1958, but the last date is 1965 with blanks after that, so I'm guessing that it was produced in 65. Will these cause that harmful toning to my coins?

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about the toning question. I have a couple for Liberty Nickels. My dealer just got a pair for the entire Walker run, and the albums are then housed in leather covers. I want one of the covers as they are cool, but we could not get the albums out without hurting the covers.

I will have to work on them tomorrow.

When you say they end at 65, what does it include as far as mint marks. I love finding the cent albums with holes for 65-D, 66-D etc. or 56-S, 57-S. Those made before the MM determination was made.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will these cause that harmful toning to my coins?

Possibly...

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baley - The prices on those Peace dollars seem high. (I would think only a 64-D could bring anywhere near $2 million.) Perhaps you should have just marked them "P.O.R."? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL! I get it! you thought the mintage figures were prices! LOL! no no no! The Library of coins album puts an approximate mintage below the date! yes it does! Or I mean DID! LOL! And you referenced another thread topic in your joke! Yes! very funny! and I'm not kidding image

also, it should be noted that the coins did not tone in the LOC album, they were bought that way!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    I saw some of those at the last Long Beach show. Very reasonable prices too, new for I think 3 dollars. But I too was worried about what affect they would have on the coins.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    I have one for half dollars, and some of the coins are starting to tone. Very nice gold, red and blue.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    I've got one for IHCs. I don't worry about it too much since most of my IHCs are dogs.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Library of Coins albums were my personal favorites. If you are worried about toning I wouldn't use any albums but would have the coins slabbed. Library of Coins albums were produced from about 1958 until the early 1980's. Many are still around in near-new condition. Check on eBay.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    "Will these cause that harmful toning to my coins?"

Depends on what toning you consider harmful.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file