Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Pictures 1920 Canada Small Cent PCGS MS-66 Red

Looks acceptable for the grade as this was an old PCGS slabbing! Pop 8/0 finer. Sold for $405. Very strong price.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• It is a very nice looking coin. Is it yours?
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... I wonder what PCGS would give my 1920 cent...

Since I bought it for about $20, it's probably about MS-63 RD.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Was that in the TOREX sale?
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

MS 66 my a$$ !! That coin would never grade ms 66 today.ICCS would call it ms 64 red.An ICCS ms 64 red will bring $200 Canadian and an ms 65 will bring $600 in todays market.I will pay $1,500 for a properly graded PCGS ms 66 red in todays market.I have seen most of the 8 PCGS ms 66 red coins which came from Pittman and in my opinion they would come back as ms 65 red today as PCGS has graded more Canadian coins and has adjusted their grading IMO.

Stewart
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stew: So that coin should be brought back to PCGS for a grade and monetary adjustment? I agree that I may have been too over anxious to get this coin. But I thought it looked very acceptable.

I try to buy most of my Canadian in ICCS holders or at the very least a combo of PCGS/ICCS holders.One exception is that I just happen to think ICCS is a little weaker in their classifying red graded copper coins. They are not overly concerned about full reds.

By the way, most ICCS red even in MS-64/65 of this date are not full reds.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Orville and Stewart, it's great to see you heavy-hitters over here!! Please come and visit more often. It's always nice to be treated to some Liteside flavors!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    Ijester: Hey I am a bi -lite/darksider!

I do get along with the vampires indeed!

Heavy hitter????? me??????, nah.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Stewie, you have such a way with words.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Hey Oreville! With your love of Canadian coins you should hang out over here more often. Now that your technical talents are improving I'd love to see pictures of some of your coins. Do you still have your PEI cent? They are quite popular over here. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
    farthing: Yes, I still have the Norweb and one of the other 67R PEI cents. As far as my technical talents, they couldn't be worse than before!!!!

Farthing................. what happened to you? You shoot the moon; a blue moon, no less?????image
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Oreville - spending time in the eBay coin chat room aged me quite a bit. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Soon Farthing will be giving Alan Hagar a run for his money.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • I agree that it is overgraded. The nick in front of the nose would almost guarantee a grade no higher than MS64, or 65 at the highest. With regards to ICCS being better, you are absolutely right that PCGS is way tougher on what they call a red coin. The other issue, is that silver coins that are dark seem to do better with ICCS, and cross at a lower grade with PCGS...in my experience.
    Brought this old thread back up since the pics had expired and re-posted the picture.

Curious as to whether the Canadian copper prices changed since a year ago.
  • bosoxbosox Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah - They have gone nuts. Stewart and I both were in the auction room at the October Torex, Stewart for small cents and I for large, and red copper was insane. I recently dropped out of the bidding on an 1887 PCGS MS-66 cent at the New York Heritage auction at $11K. Conventional wisdom would have said it was a $5K coin.

Canadian copper either has, or is close to, hitting the big time.

All IMHO.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
    Bosox: Nice set you have there.

I wonder if NFD copper is still sleepy or tagging behind Canadian copper coins.
  • bosoxbosox Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭
    Newfy copper is lagging, but catching up IMO. Newfy silver is lagging more.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Newfy silver is lagging more.

And I want it to stay that way until I'm done collecting it, dagburnit!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Excuse my ignorance, but how is this coin 'red'? image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin