Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

saying hello

Just wanted you all to know that I am aboard your world and wanted to say hi.
Good for you.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to PSA!

What do you collect?
  • Options

Welcome! Whatever your collecting flavor is you should get some great info here.image

Ed
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Currently I am collecting Mars attacks in PSA 7, I also need 3 cards and will have finished a 55 Topps set in ex/mnt. I have just the HOF cards in Psa graded form. I collect mainly baseball cards in what you call raw form.

Today i would like to speak about those who's collections have value but did they get value? For instance we all know the few that no matter what, will outbid you and pay 5x for an item simply because they have the money and those that get caught up in a bidding war. Now please don't take me wrong but some of the things I see are just incredible. Any thought as to having value as opposed to getting value?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Oh, btw thanks for the welcome.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    WP - Welcome to the boards! You are one of us nowimage ...jay
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WinPitcher
    Hi and welcome to the boards - this is a great bunch of guys who will help you with anything you need. Good luck
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    Welcome Winpitcher.
    I was surprised you didn't go after my # 1 PSA 7 Mars Attacks. You've been buying all the rest of them image

Richard

• Options
    Hi Richard, that card was nice but at that price I didnt feel I would be getting value. Plus i have been trying to finish up my 55 topps baseball set this w/e
    Good for you.
  • Options
    It actually ended up selling for what I thought was a reasonable price. A PSA 8 would probably sell for $2000+ in this market. The # 1 is harder to get in 7 or 8 than even an unmaked checklist. (IMO)
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Today i would like to speak about those who's collections have value but did they get value? For instance we all know the few that no matter what, will outbid you and pay 5x for an item simply because they have the money and those that get caught up in a bidding war. Now please don't take me wrong but some of the things I see are just incredible. Any thought as to having value as opposed to getting value? >>

First off, welcome to this forum!

Secondly, regarding your question of value. I think value is relative.
    If you look at ebay, value is most often determined by what two people
    are willing to pay for a card. If they paid well over "book price"
    (SMR, Beckett, etc.) then did they get a bad value, or are the price
    guides simply out of touch with the market? Even if you get a card on
    ebay for well under the market price, someone else can look at it and
    say it's just a piece of old cardboard with a picture on it. To them it
    has no value, but to you that EX-MT '55 Topps Duke Snider you might've
    just bought for $100 was a steal. Value is in the mind of the beholder.
  • Options
    WinPitcher
    You ask and valid question and I think CW answered it extremely well. Ya know, when I first started to collect I went in 360 directions at one time - not much real fun because it was more like work. Money should not be an issue because there are guys here who can spend WAY more than I can afford and some less. The key for me now is to derive pleasure and fun from what I do - sometimes there's a challenge, sometimes there is aggravation and pain over a bad deal or decision, but mostly there is fun. The greatest thing that I've done in years is to come to the PSA board where I can listen and learn. This is a HOBBY - for some, it is a BUSINESS but together we bring out the best in both worlds. There's guys here who sell tons of stuff on ebay AND will take the time to send me a few fillers for new sets -
    Value - Priceless. I for one will always be here for anyone where my little knowledge can help.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Well said Mike, spoken like a true collector.

so, then one can assume that:
    collector, value is in getting a good deal
    dealer, making a good deal
    investor, profiting from a deal ?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcher

<< <i>so, then one can assume that: >>

<< <i>collector, value is in getting a good deal >>

<< <i>dealer, making a good deal >>

<< <i>investor, profiting from a deal ? >>

You could say that or how about just that the Value is in the Enjoyment of what we all do. Sorry to make this seem so philosphical but as we know a hobby worth doing well sometimes borders on insanity - Aint it Great!
    Mikeimage
    why do I have all these spaces?
    Mike
  • Options
    I agree with the thread <<<value is in the eye of the beholder>>>
    Case in point, suppose you needed the #166 hank Bauer to finish your 55 set and your set is all psa 7's and 8's...and after many months of searching the card finally appears...Here it is right in your grasp..you get this psa 7 and your set is complete...Now smr is 70.00 for the card yet the bid is now approaching 150.00..are you telling me you would let that card go over the fact that its "out of smr range"..I wouldnt..I'd put up some ridiculas bid...get that card and let out the biggest yahooooo!!! Why..cause after many auctions/card shows/dealers/threads/and trading...I have finally completed my quest!!!!!...that to me my friend is........ priceless!image

PS welcome to the Boards!!!!!!
  • Options
    Bearsnum34
    You got that right!
    By the way, would I be correct that you want a set without qualifier like OC?
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

<<By the way, would I be correct that you want a set without qualifier like OC?>>

Mike,
    yes..I currently have 100 of the cards in the 55 set all psa 7's and 8's and a few that need to be graded. I do have 3 OC -8's that I will upgrade after I finish the set...My current set is on the registry as "felicias work" ...however, I have (12 total cards) cards that need to be graded and I feel they will grade out at least a 7 and some an 8..:
    THE STARS OF THAT LOT THAT NEED GRADING ARE:
    Rhodes,
    Killabrew,
    Hodges,
    Rizzuto,
    Boyer.. and I was fortunate enough to pick up a Koufax psa 7 from another member that is not on my registry list as of yet.

Text
  • Options
    OK - let me know how you do on the Killebrew - I found a PSA 8 (OC 75-25 R-L, 50-50 T-B) that I musta bought years ago - don't remember.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Steve, Good to have you here !

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Welcome aboard Steve, Good to have you here ! >>

I agree. How did you get 18,000 posts so soon? You just got here?
  • Options
    Welcome. There is some guy already on here with a name and icon like yours. Completely ignore the fool...his posts are nonsense.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Welcome aboard Steve, Good to have you here ! >>

How did you know his name was Steve?
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is he a Mets fan?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "These threads don't move very fast do they Sheriff"?

"Well, yeah they're dead. They're all messed up".

From Night of the living dead thread.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    helloimage
  • Options
    I agree. How did you get 18,000 posts so soon? You just got here?

lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Hello World.