Home PSA Set Registry Forum

That one special set......

Does anyone out there in PSA land focus on or collect only one set and if so why did you chose that set? I think it would be cool to pick one set that you love and put all of your collecting dollars into it and just continually upgrade that one set over the years. Ive tried to collect only one set at a time in the past and i may try again but so far every set i start out on i end up getting board with and dumping when its 20-60% complete. All of the sets ive ever started on have been 1950's-70's BB, HKY or FB sets in PSA 8+ so maybe i need more of a challange.........or maybe i just need a new hobby!image

I've recently been thinking of going after one set and to make it more of a challange i thought of picking one of the sets below:

T205 in PSA 5+
T206 in PSA 5+
1915 Cracker Jacks in PSA 5+

Anyway back to my question: Does anyone still collect only one set and if so why?

Paul.
Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron

Comments

• I am a 205er.

If you are on a budget or are at all worried about cost (like me- it has taken me a year and I am about @ 20% complete) than I might stay away from 205s. The demand for 5 and higher cards has gone through the roof. Prices for commons are keep going up. Though this is a wonderful set, unless you have deep pockets, I might choose something else.

BUT- it is a great set and a lot of fun to collect. The cards are little works of art.
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    When I collect only one set (like now) it is because of financial considerations.

• "When I collect only one set (like now) it is because of financial considerations."

This is another reason ive thought of doing only one set becouse ive started saving for a new house and that has cut my card budget. Right now i have started five registry sets but im thinking of cutting that down to one set so i can continue to make progress on my set and also still put a nice chunk of money away each month for a new house (i hope to start house shopping in late 2005).

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • It is with no doubt the 55 topps for me..I only collect that set, it is because of financial reasons... I find that if there are 2 cards from 2 different years that I am collecting..i.e. 52 topps and 55 at the same time and that card in both sets that I am desiring comes up at the same time I may have to let one go due to price considerations...lets say a psa 8 clemente in 55 comes up at the same time a 52 mantle psa 6 I need to decide which one I want...I hate to be in that situation so concentrating on one set, being able to take advantage of the opportunities as they arise with reagrds to purchasing the cards I need for completion is always best for me. Once I am at the point that I have 20 or less cards left in the set then I will begin my journey into the other set......
  • I stick to team and player sets from my favorite team since the cards of all the other teams really don't interest me and also because it is much, much more affordable.

Skycap
  • I specialize in 1967 baseball. It was the first year that I bought cards starting from series
    one in the spring (right around this time of year, even) and while most of the cards I bought
    as a kid didn't get preserved in that great of a shape (thanks to card games like "flipping" and
    "scaling"), perhaps the sentimental value and the sharpness of the cards are reasons why
    I concentrate on improving this set. Yes - I like the look of the 1967's the best, followed by '64, 66,
    69. And I remember the disappointment around this date in 1968 when I saw the burlap borders
    and for the first time in my life said "what the hell were they thinking"?

(Overall I collect 1964-1974 plus 1975 Cleon Jones'. By '75 all 3 of my original "favorite
    players" Cleon, Norm Cash and Mickey Mantle were done.)

Nice thread. Thanks for starting it.
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff