Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2003 Topps Retired Baseball

Hi Everybody,

I'm a vintage collector, but last week I was overtaken by the urge to open some packs. I had heard about 2004 Crackerjack, which sounded pretty neat, but my local card shop didn't have it in. On a total whim, I bought a box of Topps Retired - it has tons of players I loved as a kid, and I don't have many autographs in my collection, just some signed Diamond Stars. In case you're curious, I pulled Alan Trammell, Bob Feller, Carl Yastrzemski, Don Larsen, and Ron Santo - okay by me.

Anyway, here's my question. I liked the cards so much that I'm thinking about working on the set (of autographs). I understand that in the world of modern baseball cards, as excitement about an issue fades, the prices tend to drop. Do you think I'd be better off waiting a couple years and picking these cards up cheap, or do you guys think this is one of those exceptions and I'd be better off chasing after cards now?

I'm a total neophyte when it comes to new cards, so what do y'all think?

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    first off nice bust.....you pulled some nice cards! If you try for this set you won't be the first, I know at least
    2 on the beckett boards looking to complete this one. Topps had a nice lineup of stars in this set and they
    actually singed the cards and not some sticker like playoff and UD.

Normally I would say wait until the hype wears off, but I don't think it will in this set...as you hopefully
    know, there are a few rare short prints that make set buiding tough. Some of those short prints are
    worth it..Schmidt, Mattingly, Ryan...but some have inflated prices just because they are sps's....no
    bunning auto should be worth 120 bucks!

That is testimate to how many poeple are doing this set...they will pay it! I was lucky enough to pull
    a Lou Brock which is one of the key cards in the sp set...I have been tracking prices and it actually
    sells for over the 120 book price.....if you are thinking about this set..ask yourself these questions:

1) Is "overpaying" for guys like Gary Carter, Jim Bunning, and Wade Boggs going to give you an upset
    stomach?

2) Do you have enough trade beef to get the higher priced cards. Chances are you are going to have
    to wrestle some of the nicer cards from collectors hands.

3) Might it be better to focus on a set with less cards?

4) This product has been out a while, chances are much of the group A sp's have dried up, is it worth it? This
    could be a long time goal...which just might be what you are looking for!

Welp I hope this helps, this set would be amazing, but I wouldn't have enough pateince to do it. Good Luck
    on whatever you choose.

Kevin

PS...If you decide to attempt it I have about 8 of them.

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    THE CRACKER JACK DOESNT RELEASE UNTIL APRIL 7TH. Hope that helps on that issue. sorry for the caps
  • Options
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply!

1: There's no freaking way I'm paying $100 for Wade Boggs et al. I bet these prices will go down over time, though. I hope.

2: I've got nothing to trade after 1953. Seriously.

3 & 4: Maybe it would be better to do a smaller set, but what? Everthing about this set hooked me in - the clean design, the old school Topps logo, etc. I decided that if I'm going to collect something modern it has to be autographed - base cards don't excited me, refractors I'm not crazy about, and don't get me started on cutting up uniforms and bats - crime! Retired does have a lot of cards, but I'm pretty patient - I've been working on some of my vintage sets for five plus years. I'm sure you're right about the group A autos being out of circulation, but I doubt that even 25 people will be seriously working on the set, so I bet they'll pop up sometime.

PM me a list of your cards...doing the set would be a big undertaking, but if I decide to try, maybe we can work something out.

Best,
    Geoff
  • Options
    Hi Kuhlmann,

April 7! I didn't realize. Thanks!

Best,
    Geoff
  • Options
    might I suggest a heritage auto set? They were amazing cards...here is one from my set I did back in 2001:

If you are 1953 buff you might look into the 2002 heritage auto set, the design was just like the
    53 topps set...Im afraid they skipped over the 53 bowman set. You are right the retired set is very nice
    and would be a long term project.

Kevin
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    does anybody know why mays signs like that????? i got the 2003 one..its wild..whats it mean???

loth
  • Options
    did he actually sign like the sig on the original 1952 card? Many of those sigs aren't the real players sigs.

Kevin
  • Options

I saw an interview once where Mays said he changed his signature because his early signature was too easily copied. Same for the early Mantle signature.

Ed
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Hi,
    Stalin is right, the short prints are super tough, and (from my experience) there is a lot of duplication in the boxes.
    Bought and opened 2 cases of these (only 6 boxes per case), and in each case, 1 box was almost an exact duplicate of one other in the same case (common autographs).
    i've got mine up in a penzoni case on the wall, its really beautiful, but not yet complete. needless to say i've got some duplicates if you need some, just let me know.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm one that's working on this autographed set. I've hit the big "road block" in that I only need seven group A's (Aaron, Banks, Brett, Mays, Musial, Ripken, Yount) and four group B's (Boggs, Kiner, Puckett and B Robinson).

I've gotten nearly all of mine on ebay. I did bust 5 boxes, and the only tougher one I got out of that was Ozzie Smith. Everything else was from Groups F and G.

I'm beginning to think that I'll never finish this set, since I can't see spending $500+ each for the group A's (that's what the last few have gone for on ebay!

Steve
  • Options
    Do any of you have the regular singles from this set? I have a friend who needs
    just 4 more cards for the base set. Please let me know if any are available for
    sale.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Steve....thats going to be quite a set when you are done with it. The tough part will be those group A
    autos...I think everyone you have left sell already for a load of cash. I bet that Brett would sell for over
    5 bills! You might actually be better off busting wax! LOL.....well maybe not, I opened two boxes
    and pulled Brock and Seaver so I was happy. Have the price of these unopened gone up or down?

Jake...Post what your friend needs and Im sure either I or someone else has them.

Kevin
  • Options
    Even scarier than the Bunning price was the price on the Tommy Lasorda SP AUTO, the last one went on ebay for over $300. The Topps Heritage always has nice AUTO sets, you could go for the 2000 Fleer Greats of the Game (a few SP's here too), or check out my 2000 UD Legends AUTO's up on ebay right now. Despite spamming my auctions I really do feel it is a nice set that isn't too big and few SP's. Let us know what set you might chase and welcome to the world of modern collecting. Don't expect to get rich off modern (especially when opening wax), but have fun in whatever you decide to go after. Jason
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Options
    Joe Stalin (Kevin),

Yea...that's exactly the problem...

A Brett just sold on Feb 19th on ebay for $560 and an Aaron sold on the 21st for $510. There's a Yount on right now with a $500 BIN.
    Every one of the group A's I've seen recently has gone for over $500. I think I even remember seeing a Ripken go for over $600 within the past couple of months!

I had started on it by opening the wax, but all I seemed to get were the easist ones. Paying $30 per pack, only to get a card you could pick up on ebay for $15 or less (alot of times for under $10), grew old very quickly.

I really don't have a clue what the boxes/packs are going for right now. I'm up in Montana, and the only shop in town can't even get them any more.

I've been thinking recently that I maybe should quit the set and sell what I have, but every time I look at the cards, I just fall back in love with em...(I guess that's probably the definition of a "hopeless collector", right?)image I currently have over $4,500 into the set, so I'd really like to finish it, if not just for the pride aspect.

Anyway, if I can just get the four group B's I still need, I'll be very happyimage They seem to go for somewhere between $100 - $150 each.

Steve
  • Options
    Steve

Yeah I know how you feel. I paid over full book at the time for my last heritage auto of Duke Snider..funny
    the guy I beat out offered me 50 bucks more for it after I won it! Needless to say Duke is in my house
    now..LOL

Do you ever go to any shows in big towns? Maybe you could track them down there. Believe it
    or not there are still many guys at show who don't do the internet and live and die by beckett prices!

A guy here just busted a box and paid 170 for it, so I don't think poping wax is an option...I can see
    unopened wax only getting higher as there are many set builders.

JS
  • Options
    Kevin,

I haven't been to a card show in yearsimage (there hasn't been one in Montana in over two years, and the few that have been here were just tiny mall shows with a dozen or so dealers). I used to go to shows all the time when I was growing up in San Diego CA, and then when I was stationed in San Antonio TX and later in Colorado Springs CO. The only National I've been to was the one in Houston, I think in 1994.

If there is ever a larger show in say, Denver or Seattle, I will definitely go (both are about 700 miles away from me in Great Falls MT). I've watched for a show to be held in Spokane WA, but have never seen one advertised (Spokane is only about 350 miles from me). I really miss going to a nice show and just seeing all the cards and everything else, whether or not I actually buy anything (although I always buy something.....I've never gone home from a show with extra money in my walletimage)

I'm contemplating trying to get to the National this year, but I'm not sure if it will work out...hopefully it will.

Steve
  • Options
    Hi guys,

I've decided to do the set! Steve, you're way ahead of me - best of luck finishing up. The only thing that really bothers me are the short prints of lesser players, but what are you gonna do.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should bust any more boxes. I paid $190 for my first one (on impulse) and I think they're gettable for $170, but even now they're starting to dry up. It seems like you have to pull a Group A (1:339), B (1:61), or refractor (1:27) to make buying wax worthwhile - not perfect odds.

Steve+gfb, if you guys want to sell or trade me some of your extras, PM me - I need almost everything.

Best,
    Geoff
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Geoff,
    You are correct. The best price I has seen recently for these boxes is about $170.00. A few weeks ago, they were going for over two bills.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    When i bought my cases when they first hit, i gave an average of $100 per box, now seems to have settled in the $170-$190 range if you can find them.

Anyone have any interest in a numbered fisk 11/25 or kell 22/25? would like to trade for some others i need
  • Options
    Also, would rather trade than sell, i have the following available right now

Ron Santo
    Jim Piersall
    Johnny Podres (2)
    Boog Powell (2)
    Don Larsen (2)
    Maury Wills
    George Foster
    Bert Blyleven
    Bill Madlock
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've watched for a show to be held in Spokane WA, but have never seen one advertised (Spokane is only about 350 miles from me). >>

Don't hold your breath. There hasn't been a show in Spokane worth talking about in at least a couple years. We used to have one at the Franklin Park Mall every 6 months or that would draw 50-100 dealers, but that one is no more. The last two here had maybe 10 dealers, tops. And those dealers had nothing.

Tabe, Spokane resident
    www.tabe.nu
  • Options
    Don't look now but the new beckett is out and most of the short prints went up! AHHHH

Bunning is now 150!

LOL Oh well

Kevin
  • Options

How many auto's do you get out of every box of this product?

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    5 autos I think....for the most part one of them is from either group A, B, or C...I think soon the
    group C's are going to be hot. There just isn't enough of this for everyone. I think the cases are
    stupid, but the linup of graphs is impressive. I think you pull a Moose Skowran in every box too!

LOL
    Kevin
  • Options
    SP813...

JoeStalin's correct...there are 5 packs per box, with one autograph in every pack.

Out of the 8 boxes I opened (40 autos), I came up with 7 duplicates, and I think 2 triplicates. I've just got to find where I put the extras, and then I can see if any of the other posters on this thread can use any of them.

Steve
  • Options
    Okay, so I found a box on eBay with a $150 BIN and pulled the trigger. Just busted the packs, and got:

NO numbered parallel cards. I could care less, but they're good for flipping on eBay.
    Moose Skowron (sigh)
    Harold Reynolds (I needed it, so I'm not complaining)
    Fergie Jenkins
    Warren Spahn (hooray!)

AND...

NOLAN RYAN! Which was in my last pack, and got me totally pumped.

Oh, baseball cards, the sickness unto death.
  • Options
    WOW...one box and perhaps the best lefty and best righty in history? Sweet!

Kevin