Home PSA Set Registry Forum

jesus how high is this gonna go?

1975 Topps George Brett PSA 9 rookie

at $1136.11 with 8 hours left to go. when they actually do come up for sale, ive never seen one sell for over $750-$800. i got mine for $467 two years ago.

why the sudden spike in interest?

Comments

• wow...maybe you should sell yours..300% return!!!!!!image
  • Could be a little spring training fever. Card looks like nice centering in the scan. Looks like two people must really want to own it right now. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few more 75 Brett's flushed out. Great score GR on your's....................
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Bidding frenzies crack me up. I paid $572 (including shipping) for my well centered copy within the last 6 months.
  • speaking of dumb bidding wars, a Yount PSA 9 rookie is at $627 right now. who is this larryvan fella? he sells using Hometown Sports' banner, but every time i bought from HSC i dealt with Dennis Pirog
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Ah, another larryvan bidding frenzy, eh? I would like to know who he is also, as he has driven up the prices of many auctions I have bid on in the last few months ('75's lately). And, will this guy please throw some of his cash at my auctions please?
    Hiss name is Jeff and he does work for (own?) Hometown Sports. His goal appears to be to build the most overpriced 1975 Topps set ever.
  • Those 75s: 1975 OPC Ryan PSA 9 is fetching $600+ with over six days left
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Wasn't there a thread that criticized a 1975 topps Brett PSA Gem Mint 10 a few weeks ago. This "9" is in a much higher stratosphere compared to that 10 (it had horrible edges and not as good centering if I recall!). I believe that PSA Gem 10 Brett sold in the thousands. Perhaps the bidders are buying "the card and not the holder"!!!!!!!!!!!!! The buyers and card appearance/eye appeal should set the market price, not the PSA grade!

Not this buyer -- He's buying holders.
  • Saw the title of the thread and wanted to see if he answered yet. I'll check back later . . .

Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that larryvan guy. He just bought a couple cards from me with the buy it now. Needless to say, I was very happy about that. I feel for the others guys making the 75 set like Frank, Kurt, and David. If I was involved making that set, I think I would take a couple month break from it instead of competing with that guy. He's got a few bucks to blow, but that's good for the hobby.
    I don't bid any differently with him in the mix. He's a seller's dream come true. But he'll get slaughtered if he ever tries to sell.

• << <i>...His goal appears to be to build the most overpriced 1975 Topps set ever. >>

David,

It would be interesting to compare my "most underpriced 1975 Topps set" with his set once we're both complete. I'm projecting my set to be complete at a GPA of about 8.10 to 8.20 and a cost of under $6,000. It might take a while with bidders like this out there, but I'm not in any hurry on this one. When I am complete, I guarantee that I'll have a very comparable set at a fraction of the cost.

<< <i>...If I was involved making that set, I think I would take a couple month break from it instead of competing with that guy. He's got a few bucks to blow, but that's good for the hobby. >>

Steve,

That's why you haven't seen this next to my set recently: image

JEB.
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

lots of "playa-hatin" going on here.
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    HAHAHA!! I bought a pregrade BVG 7.5 for 50 plus shipping less than a year ago...i sent it in to SGC when they were having there registry special and had it graded for 6 bucks.....came back an 8.....stunner with 50/50 centeringall around andon back too...just one corner with a slight ding giving it an 8....uh....60 vs 1260....... yeah.......there is always a cheaper way to get the same cardboard at about the same condition image

loth
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Thank God I made my set back in 75 and it is in NM MT, I remm the day I bought the 2 vending boxes like it was yesterday and an old time collector asked "why are you buying that stuff" and I said "I dunno I love the colors" Of all my binder sets, the 75 is the only one I have that is in true NM MT condition. The 2 vending boxes didnt give me a set as I was missing around 10 - 15 cards numbered in the mid 200z...................I would like to see how it would grade out. cost a fortune though in fees...........every once in a while i take it out go thru the pages.
    Good for you.
    Submit the high-priced stars and see what happens.