Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Newcomer from TinselTown

I know I should just siddown and shuddup, but I thought I'd let y'all know I was listening in - these boards are fascinating; I think I have to check them every few minutes, I get this churned up feeling in my gut....

Thank you all for some incredible threads; I love cards and guitars, baseball and rock n roll, always have always will. I started collecting in 1958 when my big brother gave me a creased card of some guy named Koufax. I wasn't allowed to collect baseball (that's a long story) until 1960, so I bought 57, 58 & 59 football along with non-sports cards like Target Moon, Three Stooges & Zorro. In '60 I collected baseball and football and in '61 & '62, only baseball. I went on the road in 1976 with my wife and kid in an Alaskan King Camper - all I took with me were a couple of books, as much music as I could record on cassettes, and, of course, my precious baseball cards.

10 years later I started completing and upgrading my sets, adding new sets - I need a nice Clemente to finish 1955 and a nice Mantle to finish 1957, I'm 3/4s thru 1963 and 1966. Oh, I have my original '64 and '65 sets in beautiful shape; I was too old to play with them and too young to NOT buy them. I've also focused on food issues, rebuilding my Bell Brand sets and 59 Morrells. The one card I'm searching high and low for is a '59 Morrell Koufax in PSA 5 or better. As I mentioned in a different thread, I own every one I've ever seen, but they're dogs.

Nuff sed - glad to be here!

Mark
Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• Welcome to the boards you sound like an all american. the only thing you lrft out was apple pie. Anyways welcome and enjoy.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • murcerfan,

Here in Boston I've never seen a Morrell card, graded or ungraded. Could you post a scan of both an SGC and GAI graded sample? (These came in hot dog packages in the West Coast, right?) Thanks,

Skycap

• Here's a Morrell that closed out on EBay. Nice looking cards. How big is the 59 Set?

Morrell Link

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Mark-
    Welcome to the boards. '59 Morrell's are really tough to come by- I've been looking for a decent set for years, and have only seen a few beat up examples.
    Bell Brands (with the exception of '58's) seem a bit more prevalent. '58's might be a bit more available were it not for one guy hoarding them image
    All in all good choices-back when we had a real team here.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

Welcome to the boards, sounds like you have a nice collection.

I too would be interested in trading minty 50's and 60's football doubles if you have a hankering too.

By the way that "churned up feeling in your gut" is caused by Murcerfan's old cheese icon. He had it on here way too long and it started to stink up the place. He's changed it now, so your gut should start feeling better soon.image

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards! I've always liked the color & clarity
    on those Morrell cards -- the '60 Koufax is one of my favorites.
    It's nice to see so many knowledgable, true collectors jumping
    into these forums every day.
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, thanks for the welcome - 34GoudeyCollector: the Morrell set is complete at 12 cards. MurcerFan: thnx for the posted pics and the offer - I gotta find a Koufax!!! Griffins: you are dead-on with the Bell Brands, the 58s are tough, as are the '59 Football. Just a guess here, but I think SoCal (the region where Bell Brands and Morrells were distributed) really became a sports town after the Dodgers took the Sox in the '59 series, which might explain why so many more 60s regionals survived compared to the 58s and 59s. There just wasn't the interest until the Dodgers were on top (actually, that's not so different from the way things are in LA today....) Stump & Shouldabeena10: thanks for the welcome and yeah, further down the line some football trades would be good! CW - you and ToppsGun (?) have the best icons on the planet.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• murcerfan,

Thanks for the scans.... and yes, a beer would be nice. Gotta Samuel Adams? image
    that's interesting - when I first connected with the vast network of card collectors in 1984; one of the first things I was told was that the "mirro-chrome" finish of the Morrells was migratory; Bill Goodwin sold me some clear thin mylar sleeves that I've used exclusively for Morrells. Are you saying that all Morrells do not have the same migratory finish?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

[
    LOL! But seriously, you described the deal in your earlier post - the "mirro-chrome" finish attaches (or migrates) to the PVC sleeves. I always called it migrating because, frankly, I don't get out much.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• murcerfan,

You said you "have the 60 and 61 sets complete and in SGC holders, well 4 star cards are in GAI 7 holders and they won't cross over to SGC nor PSA."

It seems you might have a good shot of having the best 1960 and 1961 Morrell Meats sets in the PSA Registry if you crossed everything over to PSA, even if some dropped a grade. The No. 1 guy in Morrell Meats in the PSA Registry has a grade of only 6.52 for 1960 and 6.33 for 1961.

Skycap
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    <<Didn't Morrell out-source the printing to Japan or Taiwain one year and the gloss surfacer was sub-standard and broke down and adhered to pvc alblum pages? was that the '61's?... Anthony ?>>

Dave-
    Seem to remember hearing something like that. There is a set of postcards (printed in Japan) that are the exact same shots as the Morrell's I believe, so it's probably those years.
    BTW, Morrell Meats is the same company as Red Heart Dogfood. Doesn't instill a lot of consumer confidence, glad Farmer John was at Dodger Stadium by the time I was old enough to know what I was eating. Not that you should be thinking about the contents when you're eating any hot dog.
    I've seen lots of 60's, less '61's, but only a handful of '59's. I think the photography is the best on the '60's.
    On the Bell Brands the '60's are pretty muddy- the sky looks grey, and we all know its only blue skies here all the time. The '61's and '62's have much better color. '58's are just plain fugly.
    Did Bell Brand make football cards the same years as baseball? Do the '58's look the same?

Edited to say-
    Just looked at the registry and there is now a listing for '59 Dodger postcards, that share the same checklist as the '59 Morrells.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• The 1959 Bell Brand Rams look quite a bit like the 60's Dodgers. The 1960 Bell Brand Rams have yellow borders. These are the only two years.
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Welcome to the boards! Thanks for sharing your interests...I just learned a bit about a set just from this thread.

Hope to hear more.

John Basilone
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    '60 Morrell Meats finish will stick to album pages. I have a Koufax where it did just that. image

Around the L.A. area, you will sometimes find dealers or show dealers with a Bell Brand or Morrell Meats card in their inventory that they picked up somewhere along the line while having no idea about the set. I've gotten lucky that way twice - once with a '61 Gilliam and once with a '59 Jon Arnett.

I agree that '58 Bell Brands are far tougher than the later years, but I also notice that '60 are significantly tougher than '61 or '62.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Every ’59 Morrell I have seen has been in pretty rough shape. Given the prior posts expressing several Board members’ interest, if a high quality Koufax ever shows up it should get a lot of attention. imageFor some reason, I have also had difficulty with '61 Morrells. While they can look nice from 6" away, they often have a rough, textured surface, resulting in a "5'" at best. Not sure what causes this. Maybe people forgot to remove them from the package before they cooked the hot dogs. (Yeah, I know, I know, these cards actually came in the luncheon meat packages).

And I totally disagree on negative comments directed at the '60 Bell Brand Dodgers. I think they have a classic look, similar to a '50's card. And my defending them has nothing to do with my registry position on them.image

Always looking for high-grade 1958-62 Bell Brand and Morrell Meat Dodger cards.
    great stuff - can anybody help me load some pics of '59 Morrells? My PC is running Windows XP, I've published the scans to the web (yahoo briefcase) and there they are. How do I get 'em up here? image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

murcerfan, thnx for the help - I started a new thread with the pics
    Mark (amerbbcards)