Home U.S. Coin Forum

Advice wanted - Good time to sell Barber Q keys?

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
Need some advice...

Last year I sold my set of Barber Qs, but kept the 3 key dates. They are low grade (96-S PCGS VG8, 01-S choice PCGS AG3, 13-S ANACS G4). I really don't need the money for anything else now, but I'm always looking to thin out my collection of coins in which I no longer have interest, and am considering selling them. Should I just hold on to them, as they'll always appreciate in value (yes, I know what I said about investing in coins in another thread), or is now a good time to take advantage of the HOT market?

Comments

• Honestly?
    Wait till you believe the market is topping before selling.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree. To try and time the market is foolish. The time to sell is when you have a willing buyer. Put the coins on the market at the price you are willing to take for them. If you feel the market is strong, be less willing to take a chisel on your price.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Yes, honestly. Why would you think I'm making it up?
  • Everything I own is for sale, all the time, if the price is right!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I agree with Tradedollarnut.

Put a price on them, if someone wants them at a price that makes you satisfied, fine, sell the coin. If not, just wait.

I actually think your situation is ideal for selling a coin. You claim you don't need the money for anything else, so you won't feel "pressured" to accept an offer that isn't what you feel to be fair, or satisfactory to yourself.

Also, if that 01-s is raw, I'd slab it.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
    Darin,
    The 01-S is slabbed. I corrected it in my original post. I'm not looking for any specific amount. Usually, I just list coins on Ebay, starting at a buck, and let them fly.

The question in my mind is:
    Is now a good time to reap the profits on these coins, given what the market's been like lately, or should I just hold them "forever," even though they don't particularly interest me any more, as coins like these always keep going up?
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    put a price on them and put them on the b/s/t (so I can possibly buy one)image
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry,

My opinion is similar to TDN and Darin...

If you want to sell, be firm in your price. You will be surprised what people will pay for key coins in original condition.

I would also add though that even in a poor market, that the coins you have mentioned will not suffer like other "hot" stuff.

That is the beauty of keys. I think that regardless of the market, they are strong sellers.

I think that the longer you keep those coins, the better. In other words, you will get more in a soft market 5 years from now than you will in a solid market today...

V.r,
    John
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with TDN to price them strong now, and if you get it, sell them. I honestly believe key date coins (most of them) will take a whallop down the road too. Secondary dates may be a far better value...assuming you can find them. When $$$ flees the coin market, it will flee collector coins too, you can count on that.

I wouldn't bother with ebay. Pick a strong price and shop the coin to some major players. I don't think the G-VG coins will perform as well as the F-XF coins. Another reason to move on those.

I'd get a whole lot more pleasure looking at a pile of XF "O" and "S" mint barbers than I would out of owning a single Good 1901-s quarter. Pricewise, the secondary keys are probably underrated compared to the expensive keys.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

• << <i>Yes, honestly. Why would you think I'm making it up? >>

I'm not questioning your honesty, Barry. I'm trying to give the honest answer. The predators on the forum will tell you it's time to sell...and then make you a rationalized lowball offer. They do it almost daily.

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not questioning your honesty, Barry. I'm trying to give the honest answer. The predators on the forum will tell you it's time to sell...and then make you a rationalized lowball offer. They do it almost daily.

I would disagree with your statement cointagious. For one thing you are (subconsciously?) implying that some of the people on this thread that recommended selling are predators. I happened to be one that said to keep the coins, but.... the ones that advised selling are good people and hardly predators.

Perhaps you would like to qualify your statement?

John
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's often easier just to sell to dealers. The coins are gone and you don't have to worry about the buyer coming back and complaining later on. I find that in many cases dealers outpay collectors any ways. I have rarely sold a coin to a fellow collector and in the same light have rarely bought from one. I guess there is some comfort buying and selling via dealers even though both parties know it ultimately costs more.

You will likely get better prices for those keys from a dealer who has a customer waiting to pay full retail.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I agree that the coins will be worth more in a down market later on. I do definitely agree that they'll be worth more in the next up market than they are now. However coins, even key dates, aren't the best investment in the world. If they mean nothing to you, sell them now and put the money into stocks, bonds, real estate, or even other coins that do float your boat.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they mean nothing to you, sell them now and put the money into stocks, bonds, real estate, or even other coins that do float your boat.

I agree with TDN. If you are no longer attatched, sell them, and do it any way that you are comfortable.
    Just think how happy someone else may be to own them.

Robert
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have an interested buyer who will pay a good price sell them. As others have said, trying to be a market timer is a bad idea.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent regarding my thoughts on those specific coins

jim d
    key-date collector
  • I'm not a dealer and don't collect Barbers. I think if you have lost interest you should sell them. Use the money to get something you are interested in.
    Thanks for all the opinions. You guys convinced me to try the BST board rather than Ebay, so they'll be listed shortly.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry - I'll PayPal you $1,000 tonight. Send all three to me. Low grade Barbers are UGLY!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file