Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German States / East Prussia 1783 ID Assistance Request

I showed this coin a few months ago but I think we got as far as East Prussia (as I remember). Diameter approx 18mm and appears to be billon with a dark tone. Obverse Frederick the Great (?).

Any idea of the denomination (3 something) and any other information would be greatly appreciated.

imageimage

Thanks in Advance

L

Comments

• Options
    I can't find it in the Krause.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Bill
    I haven't got the Krause but a friend of mine looked last night and said he couldn't see anything.

L
  • Options
    I don't have the Krause 1701-1800, but I don't know why I can not look the coin up in Krause German coin.image
    Maybe 3 Groschen, the lettle below '3' is the mint mark.
  • Options
    Some kind of token coinage maybe?

Translate "moneta argent" as 'silver money' I assume. Regardless of wear the King's bust is of poor quality and the eagle on the reverse looks like a shot turkey.

?
  • Options
    coin, not token;
    eagle, not turkey.image
  • Options
    I'm stumped, thought maybe it was a 3pfenning made of billon image
  • Options
    From what I saw, Prussia looks like the closest design match, especially considering the use of 'U' instead of 'V'. But where this one has MONETA ARGENT, the Prussian coins have the denomination (e.g., 2 EINEN THALER). And where the large '3' appears in this one, the Prussian coins have 'B'.

I did notice that Silesia had a vaguely similar design on an 18 Kreuzer, with "MONETA AR." on the reverse. It really wasn't a close match at all, though, and it did use the Roman 'V' ('FRIDERICVS').

I'm sure this doesn't get you any nearer an answer.
  • Options
    Looks like the Silesia 3 kreuzer, Cr-24, in my 1st edition 18th century Krause. Mintage 3.016 million, VG $4, F $7.50.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like the Silesia 3 kreuzer, Cr-24, in my 1st edition 18th century Krause. Mintage 3.016 million, VG $4, F $7.50. >>

Good one, Brad.

Thanks everyone....

Lloyd