Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Redemption cards are a problem!

Well, I bought a Finest Yao Ming AUTO redemption last summer, sent it out around September or so, and got a letter from Topps saying that they couldn't fulfill the order, but instead sent a replacement card- a Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Auto from last year's Topps set. It was cool that Topps sent a replacement card equal value (IMHO, I was hoping for a Magic Johnson, but I'm not complaining!), since I'm collect Lakers, but what about those who collect Yao or that particular player, and was hoping for that card? Or those who buys these redemption card, hoping for that player. I knew about this problem since it was reported on the Beckett boards, that since Yao had signed an exclusive contract with UD before this season, and Yao did sign only about 300 out of the 900.
I still think redemption cards should be eliminated, unless the company knows they had the card in hand. In some cases, if you pull a Michael Jordan redemption (like I did two years ago) or Lebron James, or Kobe, it's alright since you know you'll get it, since they are exclusive to that company. So, don't buy any Finest Yao redemption cards- you'll end up getting a Kareem auto.
-bladefox

Comments

• Options
    that is exactly why so many of them
    that are pulled are sold on ebay for
    someone else to deal with.

~jeff
    imageimage
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    It will never happen, we have let this go too far! Remember back when Pacific and Playoff were not only
    putting out redemptoins but asking for 4.95 to cover shipping too!! Luckly that is gone. UD attempted
    to streamline everything with an online redemption which I thought was great, but that melted down
    within weeks. Its almost more frustrating staring at a computer saying that you card is "in process"
    rather than knowing nothing at all!

Ive heard a rumor that UD and perhaps Playoff are revamping the system which will include an actual
    delivery date and if the card isn't available a list of substitutions that WE can pick from! If you email
    playoff they will send you a list if you ask but most companies pull someone from the drawers and it
    isn't always the same value.

Too bad about your Ming....that was topps last release of the season too! They had plenty of time
    to plan for it too.

Glad you are happy with Kareem

Kevin
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I hope you are right, JS...UD's redemption process is awful. I am waiting over 8 months for one, and almost 4 months for another...and they remain forever "in process" on the website. Calling them is useless.