Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone here formulated some thoughts for a pattern registry??

How it should be organized??

Year??

Design??

Type Set??

Or should it be done at all??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it should include "build your own". Make every pattern number available and let a person build their own unique set. Otherwise, there's simply too many different areas of interest to address.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some naturals seem like the 12 piece small cents of 1858, the 1877 halves and others.

Year sets would be pretty cool.

How about a weighted type set?? One of each denomination, any year??

Compositions - an aluminum pattern type set would be pretty cool! But, alas, I suspect there aren't enought to go around.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be rather easy for PCGS to implement. They already have distinct coin numbers assigned for every Judd number, they could simply assign the Judd book rarity numbers for weighting and all thats left is to determine various set compositions. Liberty and Shield nickels or the 12 piece 1858 small cents would be a logical starting point. The Washlady/ Amazonian and Shield Earring sets (while extremely difficult to complete) would be a piece of cake to implement.

The denomination type set seems like another logical choice although there would be thousands of combinations for set composition.

I would love to see a Morgan design set!image and the 1877 half set but I am slightly biased!image

Several months ago there was talk of a pattern registry. Has anyone heard anything recently?
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    maybe they should do something like NGC

point values on rarity and grade

but limit it to a certain number of coins - like 5 or 10

otherwise it will be whomever has most bucks wins

it is kind of like that with all series, except mintage numbers is way different with patterns versus any series

• Options
    Hey, I know....how about an ornamental wreath reverse set??imageimage

Oh shoot, what have I done.....now Boilers going to pester me about buying the Eliasberg patterns....imageimage

All kidding aside, would there be any interesting way of arranging sets by reverse design too??

Link to Registry Set
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I know Homerun said that a non-competitive registry isn't probable, but...
    Here is a prime opportunity to check out the benefits of just such a registry.
    The Patterns lend themselves perfectly to this format.
    The rarities therein make it impossible to use the current full-set/short-set framework, not to mention the vastness of the series.
    I would support a registry of all pattern coins w/o a competition. Let's see...
    It can't hurt the competitive nature of the reg. that much... image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will such a pattern registry set be the largest registry set of all?

Will PCGS have to buy out IBM or MSFT or DELL in order to have the computer power to handle such a pattern registry set?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will PCGS have to buy out IBM or MSFT or DELL in order to have the computer power to handle such a pattern registry set? >>

That's sort of funny. One of the Dell's you can buy for $300 could handle this, and have enough left over to play games.

Now IBM, they have built some fantastic super computers.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    How about a Goetz Pattern Registry?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    A build your own or a type would be nice.

I am starting to work on a two cent piece pattern regardless of registry. Along the way maybe I'll grab a few other types, but that would be it.

Rich
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After giving this some thought I think the complete set should come first. Anyone with a pattern coin could play and the dog work of weighting (entering the Judd rarities) should be done for all the coins before the sub sets are created anyway.

The next set should probably be the 12 piece 1858 small cent set which is very popular and relatively easy to complete.

After the small cents I would like to see the Liberty and Shield nickels (seperate sets).

Another interesting set is a type set by denomination ie. one example of each denomination from the half cent (really a die trial) through the Double Eagle. I would exclude the Stella and Half Union since the denomination was never actually adopted for commerce. Besides they are too dang expensive!image

I think the main thing is getting something started then the pattern regisrty can begin the evolutionary process.image
  • Options
    Don't forget Gobrechts!!!! image

Actually, my poor Gobrechts are the red haired step children of numismatics. The basic set isn't long enough to warrant a registry of its own and almost certainly the 1836 and 1839 originals will continue to be split off from a pattern set into the Seated Liberty dollar proofs. There won't be a single place to show the entire set.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Some great ideas here. I only hope that if and when the pattern registry is established, there will be lots of neat photos to look at.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should make this a "build your own" registry. Each participant would go in and have every listed pattern to choose from and create the "set" from the list. They would then enter in the coins that they have and when they veiw their set, they would be able to see what they still need. I would have no weighting as it is irrelavant in this design.

I am unsure there are enough pattern collectors to actually have pre-defined sets. You may end up with a bunch with 1 entry in them (or none).

This would be a non-competition thing. After a while, if certain coins always found their way being listed together, that would give a good indication of what to include in sets for competition.

Any way, this is just a thought, I don't own any (but would love to be able to afford at least one J-1690)

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I just cheated. I put the Gobrecht Set up in the preface to this set:

Legend Gobrechts
  • Options
    tradedollarnut: No DCAMS?image

My real thinking on this is for PCGS to look at mimicking the setup they used for the California Fractional Gold registry sets.

A minitype set, then a more complete type set and so forth. A complete set of patterns is impossible.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get started, I'd suggest the following:

1854-55 Large Cent Patterns

1856-58 Flying Eagle Cent Patterns

1858-1885 Indian Cent Patterns & Die Trials

1858 Small Cent Patterns (12-Piece "Short Set")

1873 Trade Dollar Patterns (6-Piece "Short Set")

1861-63 Half Dollar Patterns

1861-63 $10 Patterns

1863-65 With Motto Quarters through Dollars (That's just one set)

Shield Nickel Patterns and Die Trials

Liberty Nickel Patterns and Die Trials

Twenty Cent Patterns and Die Trials

1877 Half Dollar Patterns

Standard Silver Type Set (1869-70) Comprising each major design of each denomination in each metal

Two Cent Patterns and Die Trials

Trime Patterns and Die Trials

Three Cent Nickel Patterns and Die Trials

1879 Morgan Dimes through Dollars (That's just one set)

1878-80 Metric & Goloid Dollars
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Well, I can't hold a candle to MrEureka!

Actually no one can!

He should be setting this up for PCGS.

That way we can grumble directly to him!!image

No $5 $10 or $20 sets?

Also, what about various type sets based on separate denominations?

• Options
    Andy, Boiler et al:

Some very good suggestions! Any more??imageimage

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Maybe sets with the same coin but in other metal. I was thinking for example for every metal varity of the Stella.

Dennis
  • Options
    Sure would like to see a Gobrecht set in all medals. Stella's would be a real financial stretch too!imageimage
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Update on US Coin Forum by MrEureka.
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    MrE is seperating the 1858 transitional cent set. I think they should be kept together as a 1858 Flying Eagle/Indian transitional set!
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 12-piece pattern cent set is a natural set to get started with. Boiler, lakesam, Stewart all have sets to list. (who will come out on top! I can't wait for that showdown!

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also mini sets, like these:
    1859 cent patterns
    1863 bronze coinage (1 cent, 2 cent and 3 cent)
    1868 nickel sets (1 cent, 3 cent, 5 cent, 10 cent)
    1869 nickel sets (1 cent, 3 cent, 5 cent)

Anyway, PCGS should pick a few popular ones and add later as demand justifies.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi. I made a suggestion in another thread. Take a look.

Ken image