Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Someone is trying to rip off ebay buyers of High Dollar cards...

... and he's not really good at it. He ought to do a little research before sending these ridiculous emails. I received these three today:

<< <i>virtualizard1 ??:

I looked on ebay that you want to buy a 1964 TOPPS #342 WILLIE STARGELL PSA 10 Item number: 2789543475 and we want to tell you that we have one just like it, in perfect condition and we sell it more cheap than that seller! So if you want to buy e-mail us. Also you can verify our ebay rating! Thank you and have a nice day Chelli Marco,

??!
pinkglasscat >>

<< <i>virtualizard1 ??:

I looked on ebay that you want to buy a PSA Gem 10 McCovey Topps 1966 SP 550 HOF Wowser!! 1-1 Item number: 2789624213 and we want to tell you that we have one just like it, in perfect condition and we sell it more cheap than that seller! So if you want to buy e-mail us. Also you can verify our ebay rating! Thank you and have a nice day Chelli Marco,

??!
pinkglasscat >>

<< <i>virtualizard1 ??:

I looked on ebay that you want to buy a 1969 Topps Baseball Cards Rack Pack Item number: 3277218522 and we want to tell you that we have one just like it, in perfect condition and we sell it more cheap than that seller! So if you want to buy e-mail us. Also you can verify our ebay rating! Thank you and have a nice day Chelli Marco,

??!
pinkglasscat >>

Does this guy really think he'll actually con someone into buying from him? The '66 McCovey is a 1 of 1 in PSA 10! image

And how did he just happen to have three of the highest priced items (card related) that are currently listed on ebay?

Anyone else get these emails today? Is there anything that we can do to get this guy locked up?

He must get some "bites" every once in a while because he really spends some time looking through these auctions. The time stamps on the 3 emails that I received are 8:23AM, 9:48AM, and 11:55AM.

This guy needs to be caught and dealt with accordingly. image

JEB.

Comments

• VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    You are just being too skeptical.
  • Maybe the pop report is not up to date on the '66 McCovey.image
  • Ok. Thanks for the input, guys. I'll send him an email and buy them all. image

JEB.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    yup, got hte same email on the 69 rack. got similar ones on the box of 60 leaf and on a 4 pack lot of 60 gai 8's, these guys are clueless. the last time they told me the item was brand new and not refurbished. I wonder what a refurbished baseball card looks like
  • Hey Virtualizard, I hit message board by accident and saw u had a message. Man your Stargell set keeps getting better, I'm 3rd as blackta95. Need to compliment you on the '67 PSA 10, can't wait to see the scan.

blackta95
  • Okay guy...you caught me image
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • JEB,

I posted this clown's actions on the 1969 rack pack thread this afternoon, and then reported it to spoof at eBay. Maybe more of us should to shut him/her down ASAP before someone falls for it....

• VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Steve, I've got so many of those 1964 Topps #342 Stargell PSA 10's lying around my house that I use them as drink coasters.
  • Wow, a lot to respond to.

I'll start with Duncan:

Have you made any high dollar purchases recently? I think that's what he's looking for - someone who has paid a lot for an auction and has current bids on other high dollar auctions. I just wonder if he's had any luck with this approach in the past. You would think that anyone going after these auctions would know better than to accept an offer like this.

GrandMasterB:

First, welcome to the message boards. I've always wondered who "blackta95" was on several of the sets that I collect. Thanks for the compliment on my Stargell set - the card has been added and should be updated tomorrow. It's nice to see you finally post here. Just curious, but can you elaborate on your id - blackta95? I always wondered what that meant. Feel free to email me at any time if you'd like - jeb@virtualizard.com

Tom:

Please stop emailing me with these ridiculous offers! image

Steve:

Sorry, I missed that thread before posting this one. One point that I'd like to note is that reporting this to spoof@ebay.com will not accomplish anything. I posted some interesting results of my emails to spoof@ebay.com a few months ago on another thread. I forwarded several legitimate emails from ebay, including "end of auction" and "ebay payments" emails that I had in my inbox, and they all received the same standard response that said something to the effect of "this email did not originate from ebay. We will look into it ... blah blah blah". They don't look into any of these. I would bet that every email sent to spoof@ebay.com receives the same automated response and is instantly deleted. No human ever looks into any of these.

Vargha:

Sell some of your "coasters" to the idiot that sent me these emails - I'm sure he'd be interested.

JEB.

• << <i>I would bet that every email sent to spoof@ebay.com receives the same automated response and is instantly deleted. No human ever looks into any of these. >>

I'm game on this. How much would you like to wager? image

Scott
  • pcpc Posts: 743
    actually since the mccovey 10 has such a bent corner that it would 5
    on regrade there probably are a couple hundred of them available.
    buyer beware
    Money is your ticket to freedom.

• << <i>

<< <i>I would bet that every email sent to spoof@ebay.com receives the same automated response and is instantly deleted. No human ever looks into any of these. >>

I'm game on this. How much would you like to wager? image

Scott >>

Scott,

How about a dollar?

I don't know about you, but I've forwarded 100s of emails to spoof@ebay.com and never once gotten a response other than the automated one. Do you have any proof that any of these emails are even looked at by someone, let alone researched? If so, I'll happily start forwarding them again. Otherwise, it's a waste of my time.

I thought that I was doing some good for the hobby by sending these emails to ebay. I have given up. If people continue to bid on/buy this crap or fall for the bogus ebay and paypal emails, then they will learn a tough lesson. It's too bad that the system does not work as advertised.

But, it's still the only choice out there. That's too bad!

JEB.

• << <i>Do you have any proof that any of these emails are even looked at by someone, let alone researched? If so, I'll happily start forwarding them again. Otherwise, it's a waste of my time. >>

Excuse me? -- But did you say 100s? That may be the problem.

Here is the final paragraph of the last reply I got back, from an eBay guy named Ian. I've actually only sent in 3 or 4 complaints though.

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the spoof email you received. Your vigilance helps us ensure that eBay remains a safe and vibrant online marketplace.

Regards,

Ian
    eBay SafeHarbor
    Investigations Team

Now, is this absolute proof that they read them and do something about them? No, probably not. But here's some non-documentable evidence. In the past year, I've had my eBay account "hijacked" on three separate occasions. Each time, the hijacker used a different technique. Each time I contacted eBay. Each time, they corrected my account and fixed the "loop hole" in the system. I know -- that's not quite the same as "spoof" situations. But it does show that they are concerned and do take action when they believe its needed.

Scott

• Yeah, that's pretty much the same reply that I received when I forwarded a legitimate email from ebay to them. image

Don't believe that this response was made by a real person just because the email has the name "Ian" at the end. I am sure that they are automated responses. Individual account problems (such as hijacking) are entirely different.

JEB.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    packcollector - a refurbished card would be in a PRO holder.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I got the same e-mail. After looking up the ebay userid I found this. #1, the e-mail comes from Taiwan, yet the seller is listed in the US. Also, the user id has NEVER sold anything on ebay, and the purchases from that Id are womens clothing. Obviously someone who has hijacked not only the ebay account, but also the e-mail account...

Hopefully, ebay gets them before they get someone to send money for one of these expensive cards.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • I received an email from eBay and I was not sure if it was real. I forwarded it to Spoof and I was told that it was real and they did in fact send it. They do read some, maybe just the title.
  • I agre with virtualizard i send them (spoof@ebay.com) emails every time i get sent one of those scam give me your password and id emails wich used to be several times a day and i always got back the same automated response i even have a friend who cursed ebay up one side and down the other on an email to spoof@ebay.com and he got the same responses i got.image
  • The first reply is always an automated one. Its only if they find need to investigate that you get specific follow-ups.

Scott
  • GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    I sent him the following note yesterday

This sounds like a scam to me, this ebay account has been inactive for quite some time, and the items you have bought in the past are nothing like you are currently offering to sell. I am reporting you to ebay, and to safeharbor as I feel you have hi-jacked someones account.

Idle threats I may have made, but I sent another e-mail to the same person today.

Since I have not heard back from you defending that this accoutn and email was legitimate, I can only assume you are a scumbag predator and trying to steal money from unsuspecting ebay customers.

At least I had some fund with this guy!!!!
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Hey, I know this guy named Frankie, who, for $50.00, will break that guys knee caps for you JEB. Just give me the word.image

• << <i>The first reply is always an automated one. Its only if they find need to investigate that you get specific follow-ups.

Scott >>

Scott,

You're a real optimist aren't you. I hope that you are correct and someone is reading every one of these emails and acting on it. Trust me, every email that I've forwarded to spoof@ebay.com is absolutely, 100%, no doubt in my mind an attempt to rip me off/steal my info (other than the few legitimate emails for testing purposes). I have never received anything beyond the automated reply. I have serious doubts that any effort is made, especially since most of these originate beyond US borders.

JEB.

• << <i>Hey, I know this guy named Frankie, who, for $50.00, will break that guys knee caps for you JEB. Just give me the word.image >>

Sorry Ken, I forgot to reply in the last post. If Frankie can find the guy, I'll gladly pay $50 for that service! image

JEB.

• << <i>You're a real optimist aren't you. I hope that you are correct and someone is reading every one of these emails and acting on it. >>

LOL! Yeh, I probably am but let's look at it from eBay's side. They have a vested interest in making sure things are "right" do they not? And eBay these days is a pretty big money maker. It didn't get that way by letting things like this go unchecked, uninvestigated, and ignored. It may be that you (or anyone) is expecting a bit too much as far as getting personalized replies. Chances are that for any given transgression, eBay gets a flood of emails. Its quite likely that if their personnel got into a detailed personal email interaction with every person that reports something, they'd have no time left to actually investigate and fix the problem. That's why they use standard "form letter" replies. It doesn't mean they aren't actually reading and responding on their own end. Personally, I can say that every time I've had some type of bad situation occur concerning eBay, the situation has been corrected and never happened again -- at least with the same instigator and the same method. I don't think I can ask much more than that given the volume of buyers and sellers running around eBay every day.

Scott
  • I originally posted this warning on the "1969 Rack Pack" thread, but since this has morphed into a separate thread, I thought I would share part of the answer I received from eBay here:

"Hello,

Thank you for your report regarding the user pinkglasscat. The member
    who emailed you saw that you had bid on a high ticket item on eBay via
    the bidder's list of an item. Scam artists will use our online emailing
    system to send unsolicited offers to members hence our logo was in the
    message header.

This is a violation of our User Agreement and a blatant misuse of our
    system which was meant as a communication tool for legitimate bidders
    and sellers. Note that the member who contacted you does not actually
    have your email address. Only if you reply to their email will they get
    your address. We are investigating ways to change our services to stop
    these unsolicited emails.

As you are probably aware, email solicitations for outside of eBay
    transactions are prohibited and are a violation of our user agreement.
    However, our initial review leads us to believe that the email you
    received may actually be the result of an unauthorized account takeover. We are now in the process of verifying the actual sender and will
    restore the account to its true owner if necessary".

For what it's worth......

SW