Home PSA Set Registry Forum

If you could have any set you wanted...............

Over the past couple of months it has seemed that the message boards have been filled with negative comments on practically every post. I would like to have this post be strictly about your dream set. The only twist to this request is that the set you wish for is only graded in a PSA 5. The cost is not a factor so what you want is what you get.

I will start off and say that my choices would be between three sets.

1887 N172 Old Judge- I have 115 reasons that this would be the top set. I will only mention two. Doesn't get any more desirable than this. Pricing for this set in SMR would not be close to the true value it would hold as a complete set.

1911 T205- Great cards. The new design in 1911 with the gold border and fine detail. A very difficult set to complete in any grade.

1914 Cracker Jack- Not many exist of these caramelized cardboard beauties. The poses and deep red color are quite attractive.

So I have thought about it and I am going with the 1914 Cracker Jack set.

How about you others?

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases

Comments

• MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Easy..1952 Topps BB. Especially if the PSA 5's are the ones which look like 8's but have a miniscule surface wrinkle.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • I agree with 1954's first choice of 1887 Old Judge. The fact that it's so old, rare, and so huge make it very special. Add on to that the fact they are real pictures makes this set tremendous.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    That depends, is this one of those "but you can never sell it" posts? Assuming that, I'd go with 1894 Mayo cut plug football.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • 1950 Bowman Baseball.

Symmetrical card design (and big plus in eye appeal for me, which is why I like the Cracker Jacks and T206s as well)
    Gorgeous artwork.
    Great players in the set (missed Mantle and Mays by 1 year though)
    1949 was also an interesting year in baseball and it was depicted in card descriptions on the backs, which makes for great reading.
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    1952 Topps Baseball hands down. The Mantle is one I am "saving" for but may never own.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • The T201s are quite nice in my opinion. The T205 plus the picture thrown in. I also like the e92s because of their color and some of the neat action shots.

If I could only pick one set to own it would of course be 1954 Wilson Franks

But if I could own more than one, and money were no object probably the Kalamazoo Bats
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    If you're talking PSA 5 then it would have to be T206.
    Even without "The Big Three" I'd still probably pick this
    set because they can still look great in EX condition, and
    they're simply beautiful little works of art.

Would have to also give consideration to 1951 or 1952 Bowman,
    1914 Cracker Jack, and 1933 Goudey.

• 1887 Old Judge
    1895 Mayo Cut Plug football
    1955 Parkhurst, in straight PSA 8 condition

oh, i misread the PSA 5 part. id pick the 1895 Mayo set, if the edges werent too beat up
  • T206, 33 Goudey, and 52 Topps in that order.
  • Ill go with
    #1 T3 Turkey Red Set
    #2 Ill go with a Ramly Set
    #3 Id probably have to go with T207
    1953 Bowman Color , 1952 Topps, 1933 Sport Kings, 1941 Playball and T206 would all get honorable mention. So since you said id only get one id go with the Turkey Red Set.image
  • I'd go with 1933 Goudey - still a very attractive set in PSA 5, and tons of Hall-of-Famers.
    POTD = 09/03/2003
  • I'd say...

1914 Cracker Jack - cool design
    1933 Goudey - great list of HOF'ers
    1953 Bowman Color - photos are unreal
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1887 Old Judge
    T206
    T206
    1933 Goudey
    1952 Topps
    1988 Topps image LOL

I also wish I still had my 1953 Topps Complete Set. I had to let it go because I doubled my money.

Shane

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    T-206 set, all with uncommon or rare backs.... (Minus the Wagner, Plank and Magie -- I'll take them with the backs they come with...)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Vargha's 75' Topps :-)
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>T-206 set, all with uncommon or rare backs.... (Minus the Wagner, Plank and Magie -- I'll take them with the backs they come with...) >>

I'll take those three cards WITHOUT BACKS!!!!

Shane

• I know I'm in the minority, but I'd go with the 1910, 1911, 1912 Imperial Tobacco Hockey Sets in PSA 8. I know its impossible, but always nice to dream!!!!!!!!!
    I collect Vintage Hockey cards in PSA 8 or better.
  • 1968 topps test basketball in psa 5's is fine with me...

• 1)1887-89 N172 Old Judge

2)1895 Mayo Baseball

3)1894 Mayo Football

4)1915 Cracker Jack
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • T206 with the variations
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • 51 Bowman which I am at 28 % with PSA 6 or better

1933 Delong

1953 Parkhurst
    Gregory Voit
    AKA..
    Ebay - mpn2gwvputty
    Ratso of the Booze Junkies MC
  • TO many great sets to pick 1 but i would be happy with Carlos 72 set and he does not even need to upgrade the last 68 looks great to me image
    don't forget that Shane's asked what set in PSA 5 would you want..not modern psa 9's.

feel free to dream outside the box image
  • murcerfan - copycat! image Lelands has a nice lot of Kalamazoo Bats coming up in their Spring auction, but I won't even be able to make the reserve.
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • 51 bowman or 52 topps , for aesthetic appeal.

t206's for monetary gain.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine would definitely be the T3 Turkey Reds. They are, in my opinion, the most beautiful cards ever made. They're large (5 3/4" x 8"), and the designs are for the most part duplicates of the T206's. I already have the Cobb, that I picked up raw on ebay and subsequently had graded by PSA. It came back a 1, only because of the lower left corner being missing (there is a triangular piece missing, about 1/2" into the side and bottom). The missing piece is entirely in the border, with the actual image and border untouched.

Also, these cards just look incredible in the new PSA holdersimage

Steve
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Assuming you could never sell it (and your kids couldn't sell it after you died, blah blah blah) my choice would be '63 Topps Hockey
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'd go with '15 Cracker Jacks, since there are 32 more cards than the '14 set. 40 more and I'm there.
    Runners up-
    T3 and T9's (same set, don't know why Burdock separated it just because of sports)
    T204 Ramley
    E90-1
    N162 Goodwin Champs
    '41 Playball

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    1887 Four Base Hits (I would be the only one with a complete set - PSA 1 would be fine)
    1893 Just So Tobacco (see above)
    C56 Hockey (because it is achievable - I am half way there)
  • DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    1952 Topps baseball....and I'm going to give it a shot when I'm done with my basketball efforts in about 3 more years.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Cracker Jack, 14 or 15

George C Miller

Mayo Cut Plug
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    1887 N172 Old Judge
    T206 master set (with back variations)
    1951 Topps Current All-Stars (full set of 11)

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Mercerfan, Thats a sweet looking Old Judge!

I just picked this one up a couple of weeks ago. I love the N-cards!

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • 1.) E92 master set with all four backs
    2.) E97 color and black and white variations
    3.) E104 Nadja's or E90-2
    4.) E95/E96
    5.) Cracker Jacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • In this order:

T-206
    1933 Goudy
    52 topps

• One from each sport, all in PSA 9/10:

1954-55 Topps hockey
    1955 Topps All-American Football
    1953 Bowman Baseball
    1957-58 Basketball

Skycap
  • Dave,

I'm addicted to candy cards.

You know what they say - don't throw stones if you live in a glass house Mr. Sea Raider.

What's next for you - Arm and Hammer Birds perhaps??
  • This is supposed to be a SPORTS card collectors board!!!!!
  • I need to add another set to my top 5 I'd like to have in PSA 5:

T208 Cullivan's Fireside
    If anyone has any they would like to sell, please email me at cmcclelland@kc.rr.com
    Murcerfan already has a complete set of these in PSA 8, so don't bother offering them for sale to him. He won't be interested.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    murcerfan, for your insults against candy cards, you must now eat a cookie . . .

from an unopened pack of '63 Fleer baseball.

Hey, it could have been worse. I could have used '60 Leaf baseball.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.